Montana State University Red Bluff Research Ranch in Norris, MT is looking for a Sheep Foreman. Red Bluff is a 13,000-acre research and teaching facility that works closely with the Department of Animal and Range Sciences at Montana State University. We run 170 cows and 600 wool-type ewes that graze on range for most of the year. This position would focus on the management of the sheep while also working with the Ranch Manager to carry out other duties on the ranch.
We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic about sheep production, helping livestock producers and students, and enjoys working with their hands. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to return to school to pursue an MS or PhD while maintaining a full-time job. Housing is available on the ranch. A complete benefits package includes retirement, insurance, and paid time off. This job is 40 hours per week.
- Work closely with sheep extension specialists, sheep researchers, and livestock operations management team to carry out and implement management of MAES sheep.
- Take a lead role in lambing the flock of 500-700 ewes. This includes organizing student labor, animal health supplies, barn facilities.
- Take a lead in collecting, organizing, recording, and reporting sheep production records.
- Assist in organizing and preparing MSU animals for rams sales, producer meetings, and other events.
- Provide support to Red Bluff sheep herder
- Assist herder in flock health, i.e. Weekly flock health checks, treatments, Body condition scoring (BCS), nutrition and supplementation, grazing management.
- Have knowledge in or have the willingness to learn dog working techniques used for herding livestock.
- Bachelor’s degree in Animal or Range Sciences or closely related field or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Demonstrated experience in monitoring and handling sheep and/or cattle.
- Demonstrated experience working with agricultural facilities and equipment.
- Demonstrated experience with equipment operation.
To Apply and View the Complete Job Description Visit: