The Department of Natural Resource Ecology and Management in the College of Agriculture and Life Science at Iowa State University is seeking applicants for a Research Scientist I position to assess invasive carp movement and spread in tributaries of the Missouri River. This position will also assess the potential for barriers to limit or stop the spread of invasive carp.
This position will provide technical support to research projects by assisting with the collection of fish in the field and processing samples in the laboratory. The successful candidate will deploy and maintain acoustic telemetry receivers in a river and tag fish with acoustic transmitters to assess seasonal tributary movements. This position will also work closely with state and federal partners to develop methods for assessing fish movements associated with an electric barrier. Additionally, this position will train students on appropriate use of field and laboratory equipment and will be responsible for data quality control in the field and the lab. The successful candidate will also conduct data analysis and assists in writing technical reports and scientific manuscripts.
The successful candidate will possess excellent organization skills, demonstrated technical writing skills, interpersonal communication skills, and the ability to meet deadlines. The candidate will be proficient in MS Office Suite. This position requires in-state travel which may include occasional overnight stays.
Position duration is one year with the possibility of renewal.
Example of Duties
• Develops, designs and conducts one or more small or moderately complex research projects or experiments in line with plan, reviews progress and evaluates results.
• Formulates research methods and suggests options for improving quality, identifies potential problems, recommends and implements solutions, and collaborates in the development of new techniques.
• Assists with publications and writing or developing grants.
• Trains users in equipment operation and laboratory techniques, explains and demonstrates technology and equipment capabilities, operations, limitations and outcomes.
• Coordinates data collection and screening and verifies the data.
• Conducts analysis of data, interprets and implements research methodology based on outcome of analysis.
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against.