The Great Basin Institute (GBI), in cooperation with the Bureau of Land Management’s Southern Nevada District, is recruiting two diverse youth to join our Research Associate Program as Resource Management Interns. Ideally, GBI desires to recruit students from a diverse background who have or are currently attending the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). UNLV is an Asian American, Native American and Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI) and is an emerging Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI).
The BLM Las Vegas Field Office has a number of renewable energy projects that need to have the case files adjudicated for accuracy and quality control. The student intern will be mentored by BLM’s realty staff to learn proper records management, learn about the renewable energy program and how projects receive authorization to be constructed on federal lands. The intern will become familiar with the history of each project, from the application through the authorized grant. The intern will be able to visit the projects in the field to increase their understanding of the purpose, scope, and impacts of the projects to the resources. Receive training on proper case file and records management
· Organize case file official records and documentation in chronological order;
· Annotate missing documentation based on a rights-of- way processing checklist;
· Understand legal land descriptions;
· Draft letters, memos, and reports as needed;
· Assist the Assistant Field Manager and Supervisory Realty Specialists with other projects;
· Attend safety meetings as required;
· Attend lands meetings as required;
· Attend Employee meetings as required;
· DOI Training Requirements – map reading, legal land descriptions, government style writing, FISSA training, ethics training, defensive driving and safety.
The Lands staff will train and mentor the intern on case file and records management and will provide feedback on work performance. The BLM will supply office space, computer, government vehicle, and supplies. The intern will be required to complete a security and background check to receive access into the building and computers. The intern will be required to complete all necessary security and safety training before going into the field.
• July 24, 2017 or upon availability until August 31, 2017;
• Individuals from a diverse background are encouraged to apply;
• Current or former student of UNLV or UNR are desired;
• Experience using hand-held GPS equipment for data collection and navigation, desired;
• Experience reading maps and legal descriptions helpful, but not required;
• Ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally, with a diverse audience;
• Experience with data collection , management and document preparation;
• Valid, state-issued driver’s license
To apply, and view additional openings, please visit: