The Service Experience:
Spend a season or more working and camping outside at some of Nevada’s premier natural areas. Serve alongside volunteers from across the country while making a lasting contribution to Nevada’s natural resources and heritage. Gain valuable field experience while working on habitat improvement, restoration, and recreation projects with the U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service, and many other federal and state agencies. Learn firsthand from federal employees and specialists about natural resources and conservation careers. Projects during the spring field season will focus on restoration around Northern Nevada and may include invasive plant removal, habitat restoration, native species planting, fencing construction, and trail maintenance. Find more information on projects here!
• Camping up to seven nights in wilderness setting without formal restroom facilities or running water;
• Maintaining a positive and professional attitude at all times while providing service;
• Communicating effectively with crew members, crew leaders, NCC staff and agency project staff;
• Complying with both production and quality work standards established by NCC
administration, crew supervisors and project partners;
• Contributing to basic duties at the campsite including cooking, cleaning and organizing crew equipment;
• Showing respect when interacting with other members, leaders, staff, project sponsors and community members;
• Participating in in-field education sessions;
• Percentage of time spent on: labor– 70%, traveling– 20%, hiking– 10%;
• Lifting 25lbs continuously and 50lbs occasionally.
This is a 5 month (675 hour) Americorps term from April 1, 2019 - August 16, 2019.
Dates can be flexible so don't hesitate to contact us!
You will be based out of our Reno Field Office on 4- or 8-day "tour" schedules. Camping locations are provided during the workweek. We will not provide housing nor sign leases, but we can assist with identifying housing options.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is an AmeriCorps position; candidates will receive a living stipend dependent on their length of service. The living stipend is a fixed amount, not an hourly wage or a salary. The stipend is paid to members in bi-weekly installments throughout their term of service. Upon completion of AmeriCorps service members shall receive an additional education award also dependent on the length of service that can be used for paying off student loans or paying tuition for a Title IV accredited college.
• 5 month (675 hour) AmeriCorps service term: $6,850 living stipend (approximately $650 every two weeks before taxes)
Upon successful completion of your term you will be given access to your Segal Education award which can be used for Title IV university/college tuition or to pay for federal student loans. The education award is only considered taxable income on the day you use the award.
• 5 month (675 hour) AmeriCorps service term: $2,255.24
For every day you work in the field with us you will receive $7.25. This is in addition to your Living Allowance and on average is $58.00 biweekly. Crews typically combine per diem funds and shop/prepare meals as a team.
Optional Training & Education we will provide include:
• Defensive Driving Certification
• Off-Road Driving Class
• Resume Building Workshop
• Interview Skills Workshop
• Native Plant Identification
• Invasive Plant Identification
• GPS Unit Training
• Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Interest Accrual Repayment
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Eligibility
Educational Affiliation Agreements (College Credit)
•Must maintain a positive and professional attitude at all times while providing service.
•Be able to communicate effectively with members, crew leaders, NCC staff, and project partners.
•Possess the willingness and ability to work and camp up to seven nights in a row, in a wilderness setting, in all weather conditions, without formal restroom facilities or running water.
•Be able to lift 25lbs continuously and 50lbs occasionally
•Be at least 17 years of age
•Be a US citizen
•Must possess a high school diploma or GED
•Must be eligible to receive an AmeriCorps Education Award (limit of four in a lifetime or the equivalent of two full-time education awards).*
•All position offers are conditional upon completion of an acceptable check of the National Sex Offender Public Registry and federal criminal background check.
Fore more information and to apply, please visit: