Restoration Technician: Arizona

Borderlands Restoration Network
Patagonia, AZ
Job Category
Full time Positions
starting at $18/hr
Start Date
Last Date to Apply
Borderlands Restoration Network (BRN) is seeking a full-time Restoration Field Technician to join our Watershed Restoration crew with a flexible start date of April 17, 2023. This is a field-based position that will work in degraded wildlands and working lands to implement watershed and ecosystem restoration practices. This position is involved in all aspects of restoration practices including erosion control structure installation, native seed collection, plant propagation and establishment, and non-chemical invasive plant treatment. Approximately 70% of this position will be dedicated to mitigating problematic erosion through the construction of rock and wood erosion control structures with other restoration and educational activities comprising the remaining 30%. Training will be provided, but we seek a motivated and quick learner who is able to work well with others and has a passion for restoration. The successful applicant will be comfortable working outdoors on rough terrain in a variety of weather conditions, and will welcome and be comfortable working with and interfacing with members of the public from diverse backgrounds. This position is based out of Patagonia, AZ. The employee must be located in Patagonia or close enough to be physically in Patagonia throughout the work week and for some weekends during program execution. This position is full-time at 36 hours per week starting at $18/hr. Benefits include employer paid health insurance, disability, life insurance, PTO, paid holidays, cell phone stipend, an employer-matched retirement plan, and reimbursements for required field gear (up to $300/year). Major Responsibilities: -Construct wood and rock erosion control structures in eroding landscapes surrounding Patagonia, AZ. -Document erosion control structure and site data using ArcGIS FieldMaps. -Assist with outplanting of native plant materials and distribution of native seed in restoration areas. -Assist the Watershed Restoration Program Manager and the Restoration Crew Lead in overseeing and teaching restoration practices to diverse groups of participants through educational events, volunteer days, and workshops. -Occasionally assist with native plant propagation and care at the BRN Native Plant Nursery. -Occasionally assist with wild seed collection and cleaning.
Required Experience: -Ability to conduct intense, physical work in potentially extreme weather conditions and rough terrain while carrying up to 50 lbs -Ability to hike at least 10 miles over uneven and rocky terrain -Experience operating basic tools for building erosion control structures and/or planting vegetation (rock hammers, pick mattocks, wheelbarrows, shovels, etc.) -High standards of safety in the field and with hand tools -Strong interpersonal skills -Attention to detail -Experience operating basic tools for planting and transplanting vegetation, trenching, and hauling rocks (rock hammers, pick mattocks, wheelbarrows, shovels, etc.) Preferred Experience: -Knowledge and familiarity with techniques used to perform habitat restoration (erosion control, invasive species management, revegetation, forest thinning, etc.) -Experience collecting field data with a GPS unit, tablet, and/or written notes -Familiarity with plants of the Southwestern US -Standard First Aid, CPR, and/or Red Card -Bilingual in Spanish and English -Experience working and communicating with individuals and groups from a variety of cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds -Current Driver License Email your resume and cover letter to Watershed Restoration Program Manager, Tess Wagner at by Friday, March 24, 2023 to be considered for this position.
Contact Person
Tess Wagner
Contact eMail
Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.