L-A-D FOUNDATION / PIONEER FOREST SEEKING PRESCRIBED FIRE CREW
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled.
JOB TITLE: Prescribed Fire Crew Member
FULL/PART TIME: Full Time, Temporary, Fall Crew: Oct. 16, 2017 – Nov. 10, 2017
Spring Crew: January 3 – March 23, 2018
LOCATION: Pioneer Forest lands in Shannon County, Missouri
OFFICE LOCATION: Salem, Missouri
The L-A-D Foundation is dedicated to sustainable forest management, protection of exemplary natural and cultural areas in Missouri, and providing support and advocacy for projects and policies that have a positive influence in the Missouri Ozark region.
The Prescribed Fire Crew Member will be based in Shannon County, Missouri and will work as part of a four-person fire crew responsible for preparation and implementation of prescribed fire on Pioneer Forest lands. Work environment includes shortleaf pine-oak woodlands, old-growth shortleaf pine and glades. This position also includes routine natural area management activities. This position requires extended periods of outdoor physical labor with potential for long and irregular hours in a remote setting. The Prescribed Fire Crew must be available for work on short notice when business requires. Housing accommodation near Round Spring is provided at no cost to crew members. Camping and extended hiking may be required.
• Perform fireline construction with hand and power tools, and participate in wildland fire operations including ignition, control, mop-up, suppression, monitoring, documentation, etc.
• Conduct routine conservation land management work such as brush and tree cutting, sign construction and repair, boundary line posting, back-country trail maintenance, mapping, and treatment of exotic species, etc.
• Ability to carry a 45 pound pack over 3 miles of level terrain in 45 minutes or less (Arduous Level Pack Test) and maintain fitness.
• At least 6 months of related experience and a high school diploma.
• Willingness to work long and irregular hours.
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION:
Additional skills and competencies:
• Qualified as or able to meet qualifications for FFT2, including Introduction to ICS (I-100), Introduction to Wildland Fire Behavior (S-190), Firefighting Training (S-130).
• Ability to perform the safe operation of chainsaws, 4x4 pickups, trailers, UTVs, pumps and hand tools.
• Excellent verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work well with a wide variety of people in stressful conditions and to follow assignments closely.
• Ability to perform exceptionally hard physical work for extended and irregular periods, under adverse conditions in all extremes of weather. These conditions also present frequent possibility for injury and require long hours in isolated settings.
• First Aid/CPR/EMT certification helpful.
• A strong interest in landscape conservation restoration and the management of natural areas.
SALARY / BENEFITS:
Base salary $11.00/hr. Overtime hours are budgeted. Housing, transportation to/from site, and job-related equipment provided by L-A-D Foundation / Pioneer Forest. The L-A-D Foundation / Pioneer Forest shall not provide for the following: health insurance, retirement benefits, withholding of any kind from crew member payments, or any other employee benefits. The L-A-D Foundation / Pioneer Forest will provide liability insurance necessary for completion of essential functions, including liability coverage for operating company vehicles and workers compensation coverage. Crew members agree to release the Foundation and the Forest and its employees, agents, or assigns for any claims or actions arising from personal injury or damage to personal property in fulfillment of this assignment.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit resume AND cover letter AND three professional references as one document in MS WORD format to email@example.com. Also indicate which crew(s) you are applying for, FALL and/or SPRING.
Failure to provide a complete document may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.
L-A-D Foundation / Pioneer Forest is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, country of origin, or gender.