Soil and Water Conservation Districts of Montana (SWCDM) is hiring for a full-time, term position with benefits to serve in Ekalaka, Montana. The term of employment is through September 2018 with additional years dependent upon funding. This position is part of a collaborative effort among SWCDM, USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), US Fish and Wildlife Services, Intermountain West Joint Venture, Pheasants Forever, and local partners to further the delivery of the NRCS Sage-Grouse Initiative. These positions will provides rangeland technical assistance for the Sage-Grouse Initiative and associated Farm Bill conservation programs to agriculture producers and landowners. The incumbents will be employees of SWCDM with daily instruction and leadership provided by the local NRCS District Conservationist.
• Provide technical assistance (range conservation and biology focus) and guidance to landowners, government agencies, non-government organizations (NGOs) and others. Training will be provided by NRCS, SWCDM, the local conservation district, and partners.
• Coordinate the implementation and application of range biological sciences within the conservation programs in cooperation with the local NRCS District Conservationist, BLM, and others.
• Provide monitoring, producer follow up, and technical assistance to producers implementing prescribed grazing plans on lands benefiting sage grouse and other grassland birds.
• Complete contracts, applications and other required documentation for Farm Bill conservation programs related to sage grouse conservation (e.g. EQIP, ACEP, etc.) requiring rangeland and biological science expertise in cooperation with the partners.
• Communicate program requirements, complete site visits to determine eligibility, and develop contracts/plans for applicants enrolling in USDA conservation programs or other state and local rangeland conservation programs for the protection, restoration and enhancement of sage-grouse habitat.
• Coordinate and participate in field work activities for sage-grouse habitat project implementation and work with agricultural producers.
• Provide technical assistance for soil health benefiting habitat for grassland species.
• Perform other related duties as assigned, including public education and outreach regarding SGI.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with landowners and partner agencies.
• Ability to work independently with little supervision and with diverse clientele.
• Experience with range inventory procedures.
• Knowledge of range science and wildlife ecology, including the ability to develop prescribed grazing plans that include range management objectives.
• Able to obtain USDA Security Clearance and NRCS Conservation Planning certification.
• Excellent verbal/written communication and organizational skills.
• Valid driver’s license.
• A general qualification guideline for this position is a Bachelor of Science Degree in Rangeland Science or Wildlife Biology/Management from an accredited university with an emphasis on developing prescribed grazing systems and course work and/or experience on integrating wildlife management principles into range management systems.
• Knowledge of computer skills is required and applicant should be familiar with Word and Excel.
• Ability to learn and use ArcMap and Toolkit.
• Physical ability to: stand and walk for extended periods of time over rough terrain; lift and move material weighing up to 50 pounds; work in all types of weather conditions.
To Apply: Send a resume, three references with contact information, and responses to the following:
1. Describe your experience working with landowners.
2. What is your philosophy on sage-grouse conservation?
3. How do you self-motivate your work activities when working alone?
4. What do you see as the biggest issues facing natural resources, and particularly rangelands, in Montana? What role do you see this position having with these issues?
5. Please describe other skill sets you have that you think would be valuable to this position and the Sage Grouse Initiative partnership.
The employee benefit package includes ten paid holidays, annual and sick leave, AAA membership, and health and retirement benefits.
Email: Send application materials to SWCDM at: firstname.lastname@example.org