Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Sage-grouse Research Technician-Oregon
Oregon State University
Last Date to Apply
We are looking for two enthusiastic and hardworking individuals to assist in a collaborative applied research project on greater sage-grouse (Centrocercus urophasianus) in the Trout Creek Mountains of southeastern Oregon. In association with the Department of Fisheries and Wildlife at Oregon State University (OSU), Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, and the Bureau of Land Management, this work focuses on investigating the demographic response of sage-grouse occurring within the area of the Holloway fire, which burned >180,000 ha of sage-grouse habitat in August, 2012. This is a full-time seasonal position hired through Blue Sun Temp Agency, with a starting date of March 1, 2019 and an ending date of August 31, 2019. This job requires driving OSU owned vehicles on primitive desert roads and navigating difficult terrain on foot to locate nest sites, broods, and mortalities using a handheld GPS unit. The technician will also vegetation data at nest sites. The technician must be able to work under little supervision and conduct data collection independently in an isolated environment following an established sampling protocol. Orienteering skills, including the use of maps, compass, and handheld GPS units are essential. The work is physically strenuous and involves working and hiking in the rain, snow, heat, and on rocky, broken, terrain. The employee should be comfortable performing these duties alone in a remote environment. All duties must be performed with a high degree of quality, uniformity, and timeliness. Housing will be provided. This is a full time appointment which requires a minimum of 40 hours per week.
• Conduct sage-grouse nest searches, and identification of nesting outcomes using handheld GPS units and UHF telemetry
• Conduct sage-grouse brood surveys using handheld GPS units and UHF telemetry
• Conduct vegetation sampling at sage-grouse nest sites
• Assist with sage-grouse capture
• Data entry
• Strong attention to detail
• Ability to work independently, but within a supervised schedule
• Ability to work in challenging weather conditions and calmly handle difficult situations (e.g. flat tires, broken ATV’s, stuck vehicles)
• Ability to hike steep mountains and drive on rocky, muddy roads
• Interest in sage-grouse or general avian life history, demographics, and habitat use
• Physically fit (able to lift 50 lbs.), hardworking and willing to work required hours and duties
Desired Qualifications: Experience with the following:
• Independence and ability to ask questions when necessary
• Hand held GPS units, and map and compass skills
• Off-paved road driving
• Sagebrush vegetation community sampling
• Living in remote field conditions for extended lengths of time
If interested, please send resume and references via email (labeled sage-grouse tech) to Digger Anthony (email@example.com). This position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is found.