Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire high school students for the Chicago Conservation Leadership Corps summer program.
Program Dates: ¬ July 1st-August 9th
Training Dates: ¬ Harrisonburg, VA: June 3rd-13th; Chicago, IL: June 18th-20th (mandatory paid training)
Co-lead, supervise, transport, and mentor a team of 10-12 high school youth, ages 15-19 for six weeks (Mon-Fri, 35 hours/week). Complete an assortment of hands-on conservation and restoration projects within different areas in the Forest Preserves of Cook County and plan and lead weekly educational field days. Administrative and reporting duties are required as they relate to data management, photo documentation, and youth assessments. Crew leaders will also be expected to facilitate a provided environmental education curriculum.
Specifically, the Crew Leader will:
• Act as a Crew Supervisor, by facilitating teamwork, managing field-based tasks, and guiding crew dynamics
• Serve as an Advisor, by training members in technical conservation work skills, mentoring personal and professional development, and teaching environmental stewardship
• Act as a Project Manager, by communicating with agency park partners, ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects, and upholding a positive representation of SCA
• Perform tasks as a Program Administrator, by organizing logistics, completing documentation, managing a budget, and communicating with SCA staff
• Experience working with youth or young adults, teaching or environmental education a plus
• Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, habitat restoration, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
• Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
• Current First Aid and CPR certification required by the start of training
• Must be able to attend Crew Leader training: Harrisonburg, VA: June 3rd-13th; Chicago, IL: June 18th-20th
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
• Must have ability to legally work in the US
• Must have a valid driver’s license for 3+ years and MVR that meets SCA standards
• Must be able to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
• Must be able to obtain a State of Illinois herbicide license or are willing to obtain one before program start date
• Knowledge of mid-western ecology, or knowledge of the forest preserves is a big plus
To Apply: Email resume and cover letter to Zach Taylor email@example.com and Daiva Gylys firstname.lastname@example.org FOR HIGHEST CONSIDERATION APPLY BY March 15th, 2019. Applicants are highly encouraged to apply early as positions are filled on a rolling basis. Qualified applicants will then be asked to fill out an online application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org