Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire four students for the Los Padres Trail Corps program.
Program Dates: September 16 – December 8, 2018
Training Dates: August 20 – August 31, 2018 (tentative)
Program Location: Los Padres National Forest, CA
This team of four members and one leader will be located on the Los Padres National Forest to work on a variety of trail projects. The Project Leader will oversee the management of a trail project in partnership with the Los Padres Trail Association and the US Forest Service to improve trails on the Los Padres National Forest. Trail work is varied and projects may range from clearing trails and removing safety hazards to more technical projects like new trail construction and rock work. The Project Leader will oversee the management of the team and work with the agency partners to address high priority projects on the forest. Specifically, the Project Leader will:
• Act as a Crew Manager guiding crew dynamics and facilitating teamwork
• Function as a Technical Advisor assisting in training corps members to complete quality work
• Serve as a Partnership Representative managing relationships with agency partner and ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects
• Perform tasks as a Program Administrator by communicating with SCA staff, completing documentation and managing a budget
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
• Must have ability to legally work in the US.
• Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
• Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
• Must be able to attend mandatory Crew Leader training: August 20 – August 31 2018 (tentative)
• Current Wilderness First Aid (WFA) and CPR certification required by the start of training
• Experience working with youth or young adults ages 18-25, teaching in an educational environment a plus
• Experience with conservation work skills or related skills preferred – i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
• Current chainsaw certification preferred
• Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and most occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
• Able to camp for the duration of the program
To Apply: Visit http://thesca.force.com/members to create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume and at least two (2) professional references. Once your application is complete, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org