Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks Apprentice Crew Leaders (ACLs) for the Pittsburgh Summer Community program. Apprentice Crew Leaders will work to increase their leadership & field management experience in order to prepare them for a Field Leader position in the future. They will assist in the management, implementation, and reporting of a high school student crew under the supervision of a mentor Crew Leader(s).
Program Dates: June 1st through August 8th, 2018
• Assist with pre-program preparations including student communication and any on-site duties (agency meetings, food shopping, camp set-up, member orientation, volunteer events, etc).
• Assist with supervision and motivation of high school students during field-based projects, such as trail building, invasive removal and habitat restoration
• Assist with the coordination and teaching of environmental education & team-building activities.
• Assist with risk management duties including the completion of the crew Emergency Response Plan, Job Hazard Analysis, and minor incident reporting.
• Model SCA Risk Management Protocol including Take 5, tool safety and equipment use, food handling, and hygiene
• Help to create a fun and productive atmosphere for crew members
• Assist with the management of food, budget, gear, and travel logistics.
• Assist with program wrap-up & reporting.
• Must be 19-20 years old (one year out of high school), some exceptions may apply.
• Must have ability to legally work in the US
• Successfully completed two SCA Youth programs, including one in the program area that you are applying for.
• Recommendation from a prior Crew Leader or SCA Staff member and demonstrated passion for the SCA mission.
• Must be able to attend and successfully complete Crew Leader Orientation & Conservation Skills Training: June 1st-25th
• Demonstrated leadership skills
• Knowledge of tools and experience working on a variety of conservation projects
• Attentive to detail and responsive to feedback
• Self-motivated; flexible and creative problem-solving experience
• Desire to mentor, inspire, and engage youth (ages 14-18)
• Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
To Apply: Send a resume and letter of interest to Darren Gruetze, Pittsburgh Program Manager at email@example.com
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org