Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire young adults for four Veterans Fire Corps fall teams. *You do not need to be a veteran to apply.
Program Dates: September 4th – November 16th, 2018
Training Dates: August 13th – 31st, 2018
Locations: Black Hills National Forest (2), Nebraska National Forest & Grasslands (1), and Medicine Bow – Routt National Forest (1)
This leader will supervise teams of five veteran members working in partnership with the US Forest Service to complete fire/fuels management work. The Veteran Fire Corps provides recent-era veterans with training, credentials and experience they need to competitively pursue wildland fire and/or forestry careers. Projects may include but are not limited to: hazardous fuels reduction, hand-puling of slash, constructing fire line in pre-fire preparation of prescribed burn units, collecting fuel inventory data, FIREWISE educational outreach, trail maintenance, timber marking, wildlife surveys, and fence construction. Project work and schedules vary depending on region and season.
Specifically, the Project Leader will:
• Act as a Crew Manager guiding crew dynamics and facilitating teamwork
• Function as a Technical Advisor assisting in training corps members to complete quality work
• Serve as a Partnership Representative managing relationships with agency partner and ensuring successful and timely completion of work projects
• Perform tasks as a Program Administrator by communicating with SCA staff, completing documentation and managing a budget
• Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
• Must have ability to legally work in the US
• Valid driver’s license and MVR that meets SCA standards required
• Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
• Must be able to attend mandatory Project Leader training: August 13th – 17th(location TBD)
• Current Wilderness First Aid (Wilderness First Responder preferred) certification & CPR required by the start of the training
• Experience supervising young adults and groups in an outdoor setting
• Experience with conservation work skills or related skills, preferred i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, chainsaw, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening
• Ability to pass the Wildland Firefighters arduous pack test
• Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 10 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
• Preferred: previous fire or veteran programming experience
• Preferred skill set: Experience leading veterans or fire crews, S212 federal chainsaw certification, “red card” (Firefighter Type 2) certification, forestry, geography, GIS, range management, outdoor education and/or related subjects, plant identification, map & compass skills, camping skills, enthusiasm for the outdoors, and a sense of adventure.
To Apply: Visit http://thesca.force.com/members to create a profile, complete the basic application and then select the Leader Application when prompted. Please be sure to upload your cover letter, resume and at least two (2) professional references. Once your application is complete, please email email@example.com with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org