The Department of Wildlife Ecology and Conservation at the University of Florida Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center is seeking an enthusiastic individual to extend science to technical and general audiences related to ongoing wildlife research and conservation efforts in South Florida and the Caribbean. The successful applicant will lead development and delivery of outreach strategies, materials, and publications on a wide range of subjects including invasive species, alligators, and crocodiles, as well as a variety of international topics. The position will be full time for one year and may be extended depending on performance and funding. The position includes working some nights and weekends. Descriptions of ongoing research and education projects can be found at: http://crocdoc.ifas.ufl.edu/.
The Science Writer/Outreach Coordinator will work with scientists and managers from the University of Florida and various state and federal governmental and non-governmental agencies. Primary duties include developing and implementing outreach materials and strategies such as fact sheets, newsletters, presentations, websites, and social media, as well as preparing, editing, and writing scientific papers such as refereed publications and technical reports. The candidate will also be responsible for evaluating target audience metrics, attitudes, and motives toward learning. There will be opportunities to participate in fieldwork and for international travel.
Start date: As soon as a suitable candidate is identified and available.
• Bachelor’s degree in ecology, biology, wildlife, or related field with at least two years of experience in community outreach, human dimensions, or journalism
• Possession or ability to obtain a valid driver’s license
• Ability to work independently and with others in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to meet deadlines under pressure
• Working knowledge of South Florida ecosystems and wildlife
• Demonstrated strength in writing and editing for general and scientific audiences
• Prior experience with social media management and website development
• Strong public speaker and ability to communicate with a variety of audiences
• Ability to research and synthesize information on a wide range of scientific topics
• Experience with graphic design and layout
• Competent with GIS and cartography
• Proficiency in Spanish is desired
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite software (i.e. Photoshop, InDesign, Microsoft Publisher)