The Squam Lakes Association is a non-profit conservation organization that works to conserve the natural beauty, peaceful character, and resources of the Squam watershed. Through conservation, education, and low-impact recreation, the SLA promotes the protection, careful use, and shared enjoyment of the Squam Lakes Region. The Squam Lakes Association is a part of the Lakes Region Conservation Corps (LRCC), an AmeriCorps state program. The Squam Lakes Association has six half-year positions (22.5 weeks) available for the summer/fall LRCC program. LRCC-SLA members scuba dive to remove aquatic invasive species, act as caretakers of our back-country campsites, maintain the SLA's 50+ miles of trails, monitor water quality, lead volunteer crews, run engaging environmental education programs, remove terrestrial invasive species, educate the public on local and regional conservation initiatives, and more. LRCC-SLA members receive numerous certifications, including scuba diving certification, weed control diver certification, and wilderness first aid. Housing is provided for LRCC-SLA members on the SLA's campus. While serving with the SLA, LRCC-SLA members will also spend nights out camping while they act as campsite caretakers at SLA's low-impact island campsites.
Summer/Fall LRCC-SLA members receive the following over the course of the program:
- Scuba diving certification
- Weed control diver certification
- Lake Host training
- NH Safe Boater Certification
- NH Commercial boating license
- Wilderness First Aid & CPR certifications
- Housing with kitchen facilities
- Living allowance: $200 weekly, distributed biweekly
- AmeriCorps Education Award of $2,907 received upon successful completion of program (minimum of 900 hours)
LRCC-SLA is one option of 6 total host sites for summer/fall LRCC. To learn more about other opportunities within the LRCC please visit https://www.squamlakes.org/americorps.
- Must be 18 years of age by May 22, 2019
- Must be covered by health insurance for duration of program
- Must be a competent swimmer
- Able to lift 50 pounds
- Able to carry and use heavy tools while hiking
- Able to hike at least 8 miles in a day
- Able to work independently and with a group
- Available from May 22, 2019 through October 26, 2019 (end date dependent on completion of service hours)
- Must apply online
- Must meet the Corporation for National Community Service's minimum requirements:
-Must clear all required National Service Criminal History Checks
-Must be a US citizen, US national, or legal permanent resident of the US
-Must be high school graduates, GED recipients, or must be working toward attaining a
high school diploma or GED during their term of service.*
* Although it is not a requirement, the majority of applicants have or are in pursuit of their bachelors degree.
To apply, please visit our website at https://www.squamlakes.org/lrcc-application . Application deadline is 3/31/2019, however the positions will remain open until filled. Applications are reviewed in the order they are received.