Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
SD Ring-Necked Pheasant Technician – South Dakota
South Dakota State University
Virgil, South Dakota
Last Date to Apply
South Dakota State University is seeking a full time seasonal pheasant technician to assist on a Ring-Necked Pheasant study in Virgil, South Dakota. The majority of fieldwork includes capturing and tracking pheasants using a mounted telemetry system. Additional responsibilities may include winter pheasant surveys, monitoring camera traps, habitat mapping, ground verification, and implementing predator scent stations. Previous experience with wildlife trapping, handling, banding, vhf telemetry, identifying cause specific mortalities, and drawing blood is highly preferred. The successful applicant should be able to work independently, show flexibility, and problem solve in the field. Candidate should be prepared to work in extreme conditions such as negative temperatures, remote locations, and flexible hours. Shared housing is provided.
Timeline: 12/15/17 – 3/31/18
1. A combination of educational and field experiences related to wildlife and/or conservation biology, ecology, wildlife management or a closely related field.
2. Ability to collect, organize, and maintain research databases in Microsoft Office, GIS, and Google Earth
3. Experience handling and banding birds
4. Experience working with hand-held GPS and vhf telemetry equipment
5. Ability to maintain and deploy equipment including vhf collars, pheasant traps, camera traps, predator scent stations, etc.
6. Possess a valid, US driver’s license
7. Highly self-motivated and self-reliant with good organizational skills and a positive attitude
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and 3 references as one pdf to Hilary.Syvertson@sdstate.edu by November 15th 2017.