Ecological Associates, Inc. (EAI) is an environmental consulting firm headquartered in Jensen Beach, Florida providing a broad range of biological and ecological services.
During 2021, EAI will be documenting sea turtle nesting and reproductive success on Hutchinson Island, Florida. This monitoring involves daily early morning nesting surveys using all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), marking and monitoring of nest sites, excavation of marked nests to determine reproductive success, and other related activities. EAI will also be providing wildlife monitoring services for several beach nourishment projects which will involve nighttime surveys for nesting sea turtles during construction and daily daytime surveys for nesting shorebirds.
EAI is seeking resumes of qualified individuals to assist in the surveys described above. Nighttime monitoring will begin March 1st and may extend up to three months; daytime monitoring will continue through September, possibly into October. The number of work hours will vary over the course of the summer and may range from about 20 hours per week at the beginning of the season to as much as 40 hours per week during the peak of the season (also depending on day/night work).
Environmental Monitors perform field work and provide support for a variety of projects, with an expected ratio of 80% field and 20% office work during a typical week.
Daytime Work Duties/Responsibilities:
• Conduct early morning beach surveys on an ATV.
• Identify and record the numbers of turtle crawls by species.
• Obtain GPS (hand-held Garmin and/or Trimble) readings of all crawls.
• Locate eggs and mark sea turtle nests.
• Monitor sea turtle nests to determine nest fates and dates of hatchling emergence.
• Evaluate hatchling tracks to ensure they reached the ocean and record and submit hatchling disorientations digitally.
• Excavate nests and interpret contents.
• Respond to and collect data from stranded sea turtles.
• Conduct weekly post-construction shorebird surveys; identify all shorebird species and document behavior (including nesting and courtship).
• Enter and verify data in a Microsoft Access database.
• Clean and maintain ATVs.
Nighttime Work Duties/Responsibilities:
• Patrol beach at night on an ATV approximately 9:00 PM to 6:00 AM for nesting turtles during construction.
• Identify nesting turtles and clearly mark nests for relocation.
• Assist with nest relocation.
• Coordinate with construction crews.
• Identify all shorebird species and recognize nesting and courtship behavior.
$12.00 - $16.00/hour, Part-time, Hourly, Non-exempt, Not Benefit Eligible
Senior Scientist and Biologist
Equal Opportunity Employer Drug Free Workplace
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Application for Employment:
Interested parties are encouraged to forward letter, resume and the names, email addresses and daytime telephone numbers of three references to Liz Ranalli at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for submittal is January 31, 2021.
• Able to work independently and as part of a team.
• Excellent organizational and record keeping skills with attention to detail.
• Follow complex instructions and able to follow standard operating procedures.
• Excellent communication, data management, and creative problem-solving skills.
• Must possess a clean driving record.
• Experience operating and driving an ATV is preferred.
• Broad practical experience using GPS instrumentation is preferred.
• Microsoft Office experience is preferred.
• Comfortable speaking professionally to members of the public.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• One year of related experience required.
• Able to work outdoors in extreme conditions (long hours, inclement weather, heat, humidity, cold, biting insects, at night).
• Perform work on unpaved, uneven surfaces (tripping hazards).
• Perform work in, on, and around water (rivers, lakes, oceans, etc.).
• Must be able to stand, bend, sit, lift, and drive.
• Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
• Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.