Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Sea Turtle Internship-Florida
Sanibel Captiva Conservation Foundation
$275/week stipend, housing on Sanibel provided, $400 travel stipend
Last Date to Apply
An internship position is available to help with sea turtle nest protection on Sanibel and Captiva Islands. The intern will be responsible for completing early morning surveys to document sea turtle nesting activity and identify each crawl to species and crawl type, locate egg chambers, and conduct nest evaluations. Successful candidates must be able to work closely with a large group of volunteers in hot and buggy conditions. Previous experience conducting sea turtle nesting surveys and locating egg chambers preferred but not required. Work will be 5-6 days per week starting early in the morning and potentially continuing into the evening. Weekend work will be required. Applicants must also be willing to assist with other departmental projects, such as habitat management and wildlife sampling, as needed. Housing included.
Send cover letter, resume, and contact info for 3 references to Kelly Sloan at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Sea Turtle Internship” in the subject line of the email.
Deadline to apply: Jan 26, 2018
We will contact qualified applicants to set up interview appointments. No phone calls, please.
• Bachelor’s degree and related experience working outdoors
• Ability and desire to work long, irregular hours (including weekend hours)
• Ability to work under adverse conditions (intense sun and heat, biting insects, rain)
• Ability to work independently to accomplish set goals and as part of a team
• Ability to maintain a positive attitude & sense of humor
• Previous experience conducting sea turtle surveys and locating egg chambers
• Experience driving ATVs and other beach vehicles
• Data entry/management experience
• Willingness to use your personal vehicle for work if needed (mileage compensated)
• Experience with public outreach (interacting with the public when asked questions)