$275/week stipend, housing on Sanibel, $400 travel stipend
Last Date to Apply
An internship position is available to help with sea turtle research on Sanibel and Captiva Islands from mid-May – early August. The intern will be responsible for monitoring the beach overnight in search of nesting sea turtles. Morphometric data will be collected for each turtle and the turtles will be tagged with flipper and PIT tags. Successful candidates must be able to work closely with other interns and a large group of volunteers. Previous experience conducting nighttime sea turtle nesting surveys and tagging sea turtles preferred but not required. Surveys will start at sunset and will be conducted 7 nights per week. Weekend work will be required. Housing included.
Send cover letter, resume, and contact info for 3 references to Kelly Sloan at email@example.com. Please write “Nighttime Tagging Internship” in the subject line.
We will contact qualified applicants to set up interview appointments. No phone calls, please.
• Bachelor’s degree and related experience working outdoors
• Ability and desire to work long hours overnight
• Ability to work under adverse conditions (biting insects, rain)
• Ability to work independently to accomplish set goals and as part of a team
• Ability to maintain a positive attitude & sense of humor
• Previous experience conducting nighttime sea turtle surveys
• Previous experience tagging sea turtles (flipper and PIT tags)
• Experience driving ATVs and UTVs
• Experience with public outreach