Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Sea Turtle Internships: Captiva Island, FL
Sanibel Captiva Conservation Foundation
Captiva Island, FL
$275/week stipend, housing on Sanibel, $400 travel stipend
Last Date to Apply
Two internship positions are available to help with sea turtle nest monitoring and egg relocation associated with a beach renourishment project on Captiva Island, FL. The interns will be responsible for monitoring the beach in search of nesting sea turtles and relocating nests laid within the project area. Pending permit approval, a research project requiring overnight surveys will also be conducted to learn more about the impacts of sand placement projects on sea turtle nest success.
Successful candidates must be able to work closely with other interns, a large group of volunteers, and contractors. Previous experience conducting sea turtle nesting surveys and nest relocation preferred but not required. Surveys will be conducted 7 nights per week. Weekend work will be required. Housing provided.
Application deadline: May 10
Send cover letter, resume, and contact info for 3 references to Kelly Sloan at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Sea Turtle Internship” in the subject line.
We will contact qualified applicants to set up interview appointments. No phone calls, please.
• Bachelor’s degree and related experience working outdoors
• Ability and desire to work long hours overnight
• Ability to work under adverse conditions (biting insects, rain)
• Ability to work independently to accomplish set goals and as part of a team
• Ability to maintain a positive attitude & sense of humor
• Previous experience conducting morning and nighttime sea turtle surveys
• Previous experience verifying egg chambers and relocating sea turtle nests
• Experience driving ATVs and UTVs
• Experience with public outreach