Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Sea Turtle Research Intern-Costa Rica
Montezuma, Costa Rica
none - housing and food covered
Last Date to Apply
ASVO is a Costa Rican Non-Profit and NGO. We have two sea turtle conservation stations and we are looking for an intern at our Montezuma location. In Montezuma, we have three species of sea turtles that nest on our beloved beach. Our hatchery has been here for 8 years and we are slowly expanding. In addition, we have been collecting temperature data within our hatchery for the last year. The temperature data is in regards to neonate sea turtle sex-ratio temperature dependency and the effect of current rising temperatures caused by global warming. Currently, we are trying establish a better temperature dataset to analyze. The upcoming intern would take on this project.
We are looking for an energetic individual to be our next research and hatchery intern here in Montezuma, Costa Rica. This is a yearlong position with housing and three meals a day provided. This position can be challenging but is very rewarding! The home is located on the beach with a fantastic view. However, individual must be okay living without certain luxuries such as hot water and much personal space.
Below is listed some of the responsibilities.
• managing constantly fluxing volunteer staff
• facilitating daily hatchery shifts
• leading volunteers in nightly patrols for nesting adult female turtles
• working with nesting mothers and acquiring quantitative data and tagging
• excavating hatched nests
• speaking among tourists and managing public during turtle releases
• collect daily temperature datasets
• During off season, coordinate community sustainability education and involvement.
• Minimum year commitment
• comfortable speaking with the public and answering questions
• previous knowledge of Spanish would be greatly preferred
• physically fit (capable of patrolling on the sand several miles a night and lifting heavy objects)
• good mental attitude
• Degree preferred in environmental or natural science (i.e. biology, environmental science, ecology)
To apply, send cover letter, resume/CV, and at least two references to firstname.lastname@example.org.