About the Organization:
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies is a 501-c(3) non-profit that is headquartered at the Environmental Learning Center at Barr Lake State Park with a satellite office in Fort Collins and fieldwork outposts in the Great Plains Region. Bird Conservancy of the Rockies conserves birds and their habitats through an integrated approach of Science, Education and Stewardship.
Grassland songbird populations, including migratory species breeding in the mixed-grass prairies of the northern Great Plains, are among the most rapidly declining guilds in North America. This project seeks to determine basic population estimates of grassland-nesting songbirds on their wintering grounds. The seasonal technician will participate in research activities to determine basic population estimates of grassland-nesting songbirds on their wintering grounds in New Mexico or Texas.
Duration: 3 months (seasonal). The position will end on or around March 5th, 2021.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Participate in fieldwork collecting data through transect & vegetation surveys following established protocols
• Responsible for the data entry and proofing of surveys collected
• Interact positively with landowners, locals and agency employees as needed
• Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Experience required (unless otherwise noted):
• One full year experience in ecological fieldwork that is not class related
• Strong experience conducting avian fieldwork
• Demonstrated experience with transect surveys preferred
• Demonstrated experience with identification of grassland birds during the winter preferred
• Effective written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
• Ability to maintain a positive disposition in extreme conditions
• Ability to travel to multiple locations in a single day
• Possess or be able to obtain basic first aid certification
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• High-level stress
• Able to work independently in remote locations where hazardous wildlife and conditions may be present
• Work will often be conducted before dawn, 6 days a week, often in extreme weather conditions
• May include lifting up to forty (40) pounds of project gear on a frequent basis. Proper lifting techniques required.
• Able to stand, walk and hike for extended periods of time outside in all weather carrying a forty (40) pound pack
• Capable of driving on rough roads, dealing with mud, navigating around cattle and barbed-wire fencing
Material and Equipment Directly Used:
• Standard field equipment (e.g. GPS units, compasses, first aid kits).
• Standard office equipment (e.g. laptop, printers); PC with MS Office software applications.
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies will provide shared housing. If an employee would like to stay in the provided housing, they will be required to pay a monthly rental fee of $200.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Employment is contingent upon the employee’s compliance with COVID-19 safety restrictions. This may include but is not limited to, getting a COVID test prior to starting the position, wearing a mask, practicing social distancing, and following regional mandates throughout the period of employment.
Please send cover letter, resume and contact information for 3 references in ONE document to email@example.com with “Last Name_First Name_Nonbreeding Survey Seasonal Technician” in the subject line and document file name. In the email please include where you saw the job posting announcement. Applications will be accepted until position filled with preference to those submitted before October 26th, 2020.