Seasonal Field Technicians assist NYC Audubon staff in field work related to wildlife
monitoring and nest management on a 7-acre green roof.
● Work up to 40 hours each week over a 15-week season mid-March through June.
● Assist Conservation Program Staff (CPS) with site preparation of the Javits green roof.
● Deter gull nesting activities in defined areas, using methodology designated by CPS.
● Record behavioral data on gull breeding, nesting, and response to deterrence, and keep
detailed daily log of activities.
● Maintain scientific design and integrity of the study.
● Follow all safety protocols and maintain safe working environment.
● Assist with ongoing conservation and science projects on site.
Salary: $20/hour for up to 40 hours per week between April 5 and July 9, 2021, paid every two weeks.
● Strong problem-solving skills, familiarity with following monitoring protocols, and
meticulous attention to detail in recording data.
● Ability to work with minimal supervision and take direction from CPS.
● Good communication skills and the ability to interact positively with the public on
sensitive conservation issues.
● Experience and ability to work in difficult field conditions.
● Experience working in gull or other colonial waterbird colonies.
● Ability to use binoculars, spotting scope, or other survey equipment.
● Bird identification skills.
● Demonstrated interest in environmental issues.
● Ability to work weekend days.
● Degree in biological science/environmental policy, or background in ornithology