Corvus Ecological Consulting is seeking several qualified field biologists for a project looking at the interaction between Common Ravens and desert tortoise throughout the Mojave Desert region. All applicants should have an interest and basic knowledge of avian communities with particular emphasis on raptors and Common Ravens. Duration of employment will be from approximately Mid March to Early April through the end of June. Applicant review will begin immediately.
Work is full time up to 12 hours per day Monday through Friday. Applicant will be part of a team, but will also be required to work alone so good communication skills are essential. Field workers will be required to camp (often alone) in remote portions of the study area. Workers may be asked to perform a variety of tasks on various projects, so flexibility is necessary. Work will include driving over rough unmaintained roads, hiking in rough terrain, and dealing with temperature extremes. A per diem will be provided in lieu of housing and fieldworkers may opt to stay in a hotel from time to time.
We seek applicants with the following qualifications:
• Prior avian field experience and demonstrable birding skills
• Prior camping experience and possession of personal camping equipment
• Minimum of B.S. in Biology and 2 years of experience in field ornithology
• Ability to work independently at remote field sites
• Skill and experience with topographic maps, GPS units, and compass.
• Valid driver’s license, clean driving record, and experience driving 4WD vehicles.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Communication skills, the ability to work well with others, and a healthy dose of common sense are paramount for a successful candidate
• Genuine interest in birds and plants and a desire to collect quality data in a timely manner.
• Data collection is performed on a smart phone or other handheld device, so good eyesight and an ability to use this technology is crucial to success.
The following qualifications are preferred, but not required:
• Prior field experience with desert tortoise
• Prior experience in the Mojave Desert of Southern California or Nevada
• Advanced birding skills
• Personal field equipment such as gps units, binoculars, spotting scopes, laptop computer and ipod Touch or smartphone (Apple or Android)
• Familiarity with Garmin’s “Basecamp” software
• Experience with field data collection using Pendragon FormsVI or other handheld data collection systems
• Wilderness First Responder training
Hourly compensation will be competitive plus a per diem stipend. If a candidate has a reliable 4WD vehicle a fuel card will be provided as well as a wear and tear stipend (reimbursed expenses for use of a personal vehicle). Otherwise a vehicle will be provided.
To apply please send a cover letter, résumé, and list of 3 references with phone numbers and email addresses to email@example.com. In the subject line, indicate that you are interested in the raven project position. No phone calls please. References, cover letter and résumé should specifically address the qualifications outlined in this announcement and the candidate’s experience with any or all of them. The preferred method of attachment is as a single document or a zip file of separate documents. Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled or until March 18th 2019, whichever comes first.