Provides support to the Great Lakes Fisheries Program and Natural Resources Department by
assisting and aiding with research and fieldwork. Primary duties will revolve around the LTBB Coregonine Research Initiative. These positions are funded for six months (1040 hours).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist Fisheries Biologist and/or Great Lakes Research Specialist in lab and field work
• Assist and participate in current research projects (primarily Cisco and Lake Whitefish).
• Assist with operations of the LTBB Fisheries Enhancement Facility related to Cisco and
Fieldwork and Laboratory:
• Assist in fisheries program assessments using a variety of gear types (gill nets, trawls, seines,impoundment nets, and hydroacoustics).
• Assist in commercial harvest sub-sampling.
• Assist in collection, analysis, and recording of biological data (sex, age, maturity, spawning
condition,diet, health status) of harvested fish.
• Assist in habitat assessment activities
• Operate various types of field equipment (GPS, field meters, radios, power tools, etc. as needed).
• Assist in composting of fishery assessments offal and processing fish for distribution.
• Assist in maintaining fisheries equipment (boat, trucks, lab equipment, etc.).
• Other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or G.E.D. required. Familiarity with operation of boats and standard fisheries assessment gear preferred.