The Department of Fish and Game, Division of Fisheries and Wildlife seeks applicants for the position of Seasonal Fisheries Technician (short-term contractor).
These are contract positions for no more than 13 weeks (estimated start date April 15, 2018 through July 14, 2018). No benefits are included, except earned sick leave.
The Seasonal Fisheries Technician performs various manual tasks related to field operations on the Merrimack River Anadromous Fish Restoration Program. Work stations will be set at one or more locations in Lawrence, Lowell, or Westborough, Massachusetts. The incumbent's work will be carried out at the fish passage facilities on the Merrimack River, or as the duties at the fishways permit, the incumbent will be assigned to the field headquarters in Westborough. At the field headquarters duties will include but not be limited to; data entry, digitization, gear, boat, and vehicle maintenance, boat and backpack electrofishing surveys, bathymetric surveys, creel surveys, and general data organization.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Trapping and counting fish at a fish passage facility.
2. Record keeping
3. Performing preventative maintenance on equipment and tools.
4. Lifting and carrying net loads of fish (approximately 20 lbs).
5. Loading and unloading equipment.
6. Boat and backpack electrofishing surveys.
7. Bathymetric surveys.
8. Creel surveys.
A cover letter and resume must be submitted as part of the application process and attached to the requisition.
Special Requirements: Based on assignment, possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Class 3 or 2 motor Vehicle Operator’s License or equivalent license from the state in which you reside.
1. Ability to identify various species of warm and coldwater species as well as anadromous fish species.
2. Ability to maintain records of fishway operational conditions including descriptions of mechanical problems, river flows, and water temperatures.
3. Ability to work in a team setting.
4. Previous experience sampling fish populations (electrofishing).
5. Must have their own transportation to travel to and from work.
Remarks: Seasonal Fisheries Technician positions perform significant physical work in all types of weather. Daily working hours will not be the standard 9 am to 5 pm. Job will require working weekends, starting early in the morning or late afternoon and working evenings.
Apply online https://massanf.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=190000O1
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position #s: 00183121, 00183122, 00183123