We seek two Seasonal Technicians to assist with monitoring of Gopher Tortoise populations at Avon Park Air Force Range, a 106,000-acre military training installation located in south-central Florida. These are full-time, 6-month positions with a desired start date of January 5, 2023 and approximate end date of June 16, 2023. The technicians will be employed in Archbold’s Herpetology/Restoration Ecology Program, but will be based at our Avon Park AFR office located 50 min away and will need to find off-site housing.
The technicians (and a crew leader) will assist with ongoing monitoring of Gopher Tortoises by surveying tortoise populations throughout pine flatwoods habitats using line-transect distance sampling methodology. Surveys entail searching for tortoise burrows along randomly chosen transects, mapping burrows using GPS, and scoping burrows to determine if they are occupied. When not working in the field, the technicians will assist with entering and checking data, maintaining equipment, and documenting occurrences of other herpetofauna encountered during tortoise surveys.
The successful candidates will have a B.S. in biology, wildlife science, or a related field, plus at least 5 months of relevant experience conducting herpetological surveys. Other required qualifications include:
• Proficiency with GPS data collection and common word processing and spreadsheet software (i.e., Microsoft Office)
• Ability to perform physically strenuous activities (e.g., hiking while carrying field equipment, frequent bending and kneeling), often in hot, humid conditions
• Ability to safely operate 4WD vehicles in off-road conditions
• Unwavering attention to data quality and following established survey protocols
• Applicants must have U.S. citizenship or current authorization to work in the U.S.
Additional desired qualifications include experience scoping Gopher Tortoise burrows and knowledge of herpetofauna of the southeastern Coastal Plain.
Applicants should send a letter of interest, CV, and names, phone numbers, and email addresses of three references via email (preferably as one attachment in pdf format) to Kammie Voves (email@example.com). Please indicate ‘Tortoise Technician position' in the subject heading and submit applications by October 7th for full consideration.
Archbold is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from
members of underrepresented groups.