Rockefeller State Park Preserve (RSPP) seeks a motivated individual to join Stewardship team from late-May to August with the potential for an extension until November. Rockefeller State Park Preserve is located in Westchester County, with over 1400 acres of woodlands, wetlands, meadows, and fields. Our team advances land stewardship, conservation science, and boosts collegiate and public volunteerism in State Parks. This team works primarily in RSPP with a wetland restoration project in John Jay Homestead State Historic Site. Applicant will gain valuable field experience and learn organizational, leadership and communications skills that they will be able to apply in their personal and professional lives.
The Natural Resource Steward reports to the Natural Resource Specialist, and works with other staff members to implement land stewardship and vegetation management projects that promote native biodiversity and reduce invasive species. Stewards will have the opportunity to: build communication skills by working with interns and volunteers, gain plant identification skills, and broaden their understanding of ecological research.
Salary and Timeframe PRA-4 $13.00/hour. Fulltime (32 hours) from mid-May to August (flexible). The incumbent may be required to work some week nights, weekends, and holidays.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement land stewardship projects that promote native biodiversity and reduce invasive species.
- Vegetation monitoring projects throughout the summer.
- Help conduct volunteer days with local community groups and individuals.
- Other activities: Invasive species mapping, deer browse monitoring, deer spotlighting and other projects with local researchers.
• Applicant must have experience working in environmental science, natural resource management, recreation management, or related field with experience in environmental stewardship;
• Applicant must be able to work full days outside in all seasons;
• Applicant must be familiar with Lower Hudson Valley ecology, conservation, and natural area management;
• Applicant must interact constructively with staff, Preserve patrons, and all others;
• Applicant must possess and maintain a valid New York State Driver’s License as a term and condition of employment.
To Apply: Submit NYS Application (Form #S1000) available at https://parks.ny.gov/employment/park-employment.aspx, resume, cover letter, and expected availability to Rebecca.Policello@parks.ny.gov by March 23rd 2018
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Agency
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide their current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.