This is a seasonal position responsible for implementing best management practices for natural areas management throughout the various preserves within the District.
The standard work hours for this position are Monday-Thursday, 6:30am-5:00pm with some flexibility under certain conditions. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required. The primary work location for this position is Lake of the Woods Forest Preserve in Mahomet with travel to other preserves within the District as needed (transportation provided to alternate sites).
• Assist Natural Resources staff with the conservation and restoration of prairie, savanna, wetland and forested natural areas throughout the District
• Control brush and invasive species using various strategies such as mowing, cutting or trimming, or herbicide application
• Participate in seed collection and processing
• Assist with prescribed burns
• Enter data into various systems for reporting, tracking, and analysis
• Interact with preserve visitors in a positive and professional manner
• Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum Education and Experience
• Experience in a like position with similar duties and responsibilities and/or college-level coursework towards a degree in restoration ecology, natural resources, park management, forestry, conservation biology, environmental science, or a related field is required.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to understand and follow both verbal and written directions
• Experience with, or ability to learn, the use tools of the trade, both powered and non-powered in a safe and effective manner.
• Good communication skills and the ability to maintain good working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, volunteers, and the general public.
• Ability to work independently under general direction, to exercise judgment in the performance of duties, and to identify and solve problems as they arise.
• Demonstrated good safety awareness.
• Ability to use standard office equipment, including a computer. Must possess a working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
• Valid driver's license is required.
• CPR/AED and First Aid certification is preferred
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Work is primarily performed outdoors under various weather conditions, including heat, cold, rain, snow, or ice. Duties will be performed in close proximity to the general public and the employee may have frequent interactions with patrons. While performing the duties of this position, the employee may be exposed to hazardous flora and fauna (e.g. poison ivy, wild parsnip, biting/stinging insects, ticks) and chemicals (e.g. cleaning supplies, herbicides/pesticides, and gasoline/oil). The employee may also be exposed to machinery with moving mechanical parts and high noise levels.
Normal duties may include stooping, twisting, climbing, balancing, kneeling, crouching, and crawling. Prolonged standing or walking, often on unpaved/uneven terrain, will be frequent. The employee may regularly handle, grasp, or feel objects; reach, push, or pull to reposition items; and may regularly lift up to 50 pounds to shoulder height or above and up to 100 pounds to carrying height with assistance. Ability to talk and hear or otherwise effectively communicate with staff and patrons is required. Visual acuity necessary for this position includes close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Use of personal protective equipment will be required based on job specific tasks. This may include, but is not limited to, the following items:
• Work boots
• Protective gloves
• Safety goggles or glasses
• Earplugs or ear covers
• Reflective vest or hi-vis shirt
• Respirators or masks
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described above are representative of those an employee must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made, in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Applicants must submit an online application at https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/344390 in order to apply for the position. Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis and will be accepted until the position is filled. For questions regarding the application process, please contact Human Resources at 217-586-3360 or HR@ccfpd.org.