Lake Houston Wilderness Park is the only City of Houston Park that allows overnight camping. It is almost 5000 acres of wilderness right outside of the Houston city limits
We are looking for two seasonal naturalists to join our team for a 6 month term starting in march.
The position is focused highly on environmental education, exhibit creation and animal care. The candidate must be willing to live at the park and work weekends and some holidays. Housing is provided and the pay is $12 per hour.
Any candidate MUST be comfortable working around snakes, spiders and other animals.
Main duties include working at the Nature Center and assisting the Park Naturalist with all operations. Including:
• Animal care for a variety on invertebrates, reptiles, amphibians and fish
• Write educational programs and present them to the public on a weekly basis.
• Assist the park reservation staff and provide assistance at the front gate
• Complete a project specifically assigned to help improve the park/ Nature Center
• Assist with all aspects of park operations, grounds maintenance, and facility maintenance
Undergraduate with senior standing or recent graduate in a related field (Biology, wildlife, conservation, forestry, education, environmental studies etc.)
• Must have at least 1 years related experience
• Must be able to work a 40-hour work week and work every weekend
• Have a strong interest in the parks field/education field
Experience with animal care
Individuals must be detail oriented, organized, motivated and able to work with minimal supervision
customer service/ education experience