Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife Resources Division
$13/Hour Base Pay
Last Date to Apply
The Georgia Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife Resources Division, Wildlife Conservation section is seeking to hire three seasonal associates for implementing prescribed fire across South Georgia, targeting high priority gopher tortoise habitat. Crew members will be a part of a three-person burn crew stationed in South Georgia. Work priorities will include activities associated with prescribed fire operations, fireline construction, and pre/post-burn monitoring. The crew may also be involved with exotic and invasive species control, native species planting, other land management activities, and assisting in species monitoring/surveys.
Burn crew work typically involves strenuous or tedious physical work for prolonged periods of time under all weather conditions, sometimes in remote areas. Hours of work can be long and irregular (sometimes on weekends) with little control over scheduling. Days-off may be on short notice and subject to change.
As part of the Interagency Burn Team (IBT), you will be working with a number of different agencies, including Georgia Department of Natural Resources, The Nature Conservancy, Georgia Forestry Commission, U.S. Forest Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, The Orianne Society, and other agencies and organizations, as well as dedicated volunteers and private landowners.
• Associate degree and/or 6 months of related experience.
• Ability to carry a 45-pound pack over 3 miles of level terrain in 45 minutes or less (Arduous Level Pack Test).
• Willingness to work long and irregular hours.
• Current driver’s license with clean driving record and able to pass a State of Georgia criminal background check.
• NWCG qualifications for Basic Wildland Firefighter (FFT2), including Introduction to ICS (I-100), Introduction to Wildland Fire Behavior (S-190), Firefighting Training (S-130), and Chainsaw Use (S-212).
• Ability to perform the safe operation of chainsaws, 4x4 pickups, trailers, UTVs, pumps, hand tools, and ignition devices.
• Ability and willingness to work in a team environment.
• Ability to perform hard physical work in adverse conditions and weather.