Applicant Closing Date: October 3, 2020
Start Date: November 2, 2020 (flexible)
This is a full-time, 6-month position working alongside a team of aquarium professionals to assist with daily animal husbandry, water quality monitoring, enrichment, training, and medical procedures. This position is designed to provide valuable on-the-job experience for entry-level aquarists and to further prepare them for a career in the animal-care field.
Flint RiverQuarium houses a variety of species including fish, aquatic invertebrates, reptiles, amphibians, and birds. Relief aquarists will be assigned to areas as decided by staff.
• 40 hours (5 days) per week – any day Sun-Sat
• Must be available to work weekends and holidays
• Position will continue for no more than 6 months or 1500 hours in one calendar year
• Enclosure cleaning and maintenance
• Diet preparation and feeding
• Water quality measuring and monitoring
• Aquatic life support system monitoring
• Animal observation and proper record documentation
• Implementation of approved enrichment
• Animal handling during public presentations
• Development of public speaking skills through conservation-themed programs
• Working all major holidays if scheduled to do so
• Must be able to work in all weather conditions including heat, humidity, rain, cold, and dust
• Will be exposed to strong odors, dust, and bird feathers/dander
• Position involves considerable physical exertion such as repetitive bending, climbing ladders, pushing/pulling/carrying heavy loads, and regular lifting of heavy objects (up to 60 pounds)
EDUCATION AND PRE-REQUISITES
• Must possess a High School Diploma or equivalent; a college degree is preferred
• Must possess a valid driver’s license
• Previous animal-care experience is preferred but not required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
• Pay: $7.50 per hour
• Optional housing and utilities: $50.00 per week deducted from pay; on a “first-come, first-served” basis, which means housing is not guaranteed.
• When available, housing is offered by Chehaw Park & Zoo for temporary employees whose primary residence creates a commute of over 2 hours. Flint RiverQuarium Relief Aquarists will share housing with Chehaw Park & Zoo Relief Keeper staff. These rooms share common indoor living areas with other temporary staff.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, on or before listed closing date of October 3, 2020.
Email’s subject line should include: November 2020 Seasonal Relief Aquarist TAMU.
No telephone calls will be accepted.