Start Date: 12/06/2021 to 01/03/2022
This is a 40hr/week, 6-month position working alongside a team of animal care professionals to assist with daily animal husbandry, enrichment, training, and medical procedures. This position is designed to provide valuable on-the-job experience for entry-level keepers and to further prepare them for a career in the animal-care field.
The Zoo houses a variety of species, and relief keepers will be assigned to areas based on need and the keeper’s interests.
40 hours (5 days) per week – ANY DAY Mon-Sun
Available to work weekends and holidays
Position will continue for no more than 6 months or 1500 hours in one calendar year
• Enclosure cleaning and maintenance
• Diet preparation and feeding
• Animal observation and proper record documentation
• Implementation of approved enrichment
• Animal handling during public presentations
• Development of public speaking skills through conservation-themed programs
• Working all major holidays if scheduled to do so
• Must be able to work in all weather conditions including heat, humidity, rain, cold, and dust
• Will be exposed to strong odors, dust, hay, and animal fur/hair/dander
• Position involves considerable physical exertion such as repetitive bending, pushing/pulling/carrying heavy loads, and regular lifting of heavy objects (up to 60 pounds)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Pay: $7.50 per hour
Optional housing and utilities: $50.00 per week deducted from pay; on a “first-come, first-served” basis, Chehaw offers private rooms for rent for temporary employees whose primary residence creates a commute of over 2 hours. These rooms share common indoor living areas with other temporary staff. The availability of housing is not guaranteed.
Send resume and cover letter to CKoenig@chehaw.org on or before listed closing date of October 15, 2021.
Email’s subject line should include: Winter 2021 Seasonal Relief Keeper TAMU.
No telephone calls will be accepted.
• Must possess a High School Diploma or equivalent; a college degree is preferred
• Must possess a valid driver’s license and have reliable transportation to/from work
• Proof of a negative TB test within 6 months prior to hire or willingness to be tested upon hire
• Proof of Tetanus vaccination within 10 years prior to hire or willingness to be vaccinated upon hire
• Preventative rabies vaccination highly recommended but not required
• Preventative Hepatitis A & B vaccinations highly recommended but not required
• Preventative Covid-19 vaccinations highly recommended
• Previous animal-care experience is preferred but not required