Job Location/Shift: This position is with the Missouri Department of Natural Resources, Division of State Parks, and will be located at Roaring River State Park, 12716 Farm Road 2239 Cassville, MO. Seasonal interpreters create original programs, guided hikes, and amphitheater presentations that showcase park resources and support the Missouri State Park mission. Interpreters are responsible for staffing the nature center and caring for live animals, including fish and snakes. Interpreters will work 8 hour days up to five days a week. This position will be temporary between the months of May-October 2022. On-site housing is available. The work hours are flexible and negotiable, but you will be expected to work weekends and holidays.
Why you’ll love this position:
Spend a summer in the scenic Ozarks working with the public to share the story of Roaring River State Park’s natural resources and cultural history.
What you’ll do:
• Create original, interactive interpretive programs about park resources.
• Safely lead families on guided hikes and hatchery tours.
• Open and close Ozark Chinquapin Nature Center, including cleaning, operating a cash register and care for live animals.
• Provide information about park rules and procedures, suggest directions, and trail recommendations.
• Assist in creating promotional materials, including program advertisements and social media posts.
• Assist in maintaining park trails with the use of weed eaters and handsaws.
All you need for success:
Preferred Qualifications and Experience/Special Job Requirements
• Seeking Applicants studying these or related fields: Wildlife, Forestry, ecology, Parks and recreation, Education, History, Communication
• Willing to speak in front of the general public while practicing interpretive principles
• Ability to research and develop programs based on reliable information
• Excellent customer service while answering repetitive questions
• Willing to work with children and families
• Enthusiasm for preserving Missouri’s natural and cultural resources.
• Ability to hike in steep Ozark terrain.