eeking qualified candidate for transportation related environmental and ecological services for a full time position based in Atlanta, Georgia. The selected candidate will serve as the senior technical resource for ecological field surveys, preparation of ecology reports, permit and stream buffer variance applications, and scope projects. The candidate must demonstrate strong terrestrial and aquatic species identification skills and be proficient in state and federal document reporting requirements. Written communication skills, at a professional level, and presentation of ideas in a well-thought out and comprehensive manner is a key requirement.
In addition, the selected candidate will work as the technical leader of a team of environmental professionals to support preparation of various environmental documents, such as those required by the National Environmental Policy Act, to coordinate other environmental resource studies, and to assist in identifying project alternatives to avoid/minimize impacts to identified ecological resources. Applicants should be highly self-motivated with the ability to perform detail-oriented work. Experience in the Southeast and experience with GDOT is preferred. Some overnight travel will be required and the qualified candidate may be required to manage staff.
• Interpret available data (maps, land use plans, aerial photography, agency coordination) for environmental analysis
• Gather, organize and supervise the collection of field data
• Knowledge and computer skills necessary to prepare required reports, maps, etc.
• Maintain required records in paper and electronic files documenting reports and permits.
• Bachelor of Science and/or Master’s degree in Biology, Ecology, Environmental Science, Natural Resources, or related field
• Ten years practical experience of the process for obtaining agency approval of prepared reports and permit applications
• Applicable professional training related to Endangered Species, Wetland Delineation, Identification of Hydrophytic Vegetation, Stream Identification, and Stream Morphology (meets GDOT Prequalification requirements for Ecology)
• Applicable professional training and experience using ESRI ArcView and Arc Map GIS programs is required. Experience with Bentley Microstation CAD software is a plus.
• Valid driver license, owns a vehicle or is able to rent a vehicle (for travel)
• Familiarity with USFWS Recovery Permits and DNR Collecting Permits
• Experience conducting field surveys for bat species