Overview: This position is part of a collaborative effort among the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, US Fish and Wildlife Service, and Pheasants Forever to further the delivery of the NRCS Sage Grouse Initiative. This position provides range /wildlife technical assistance for the Sage Grouse Initiative and associated Farm Bill conservation programs to agriculture producers and landowners. This position will be an employee of Pheasants Forever Inc. with daily instruction and leadership provided by the NRCS District Conservationist.
• Provide technical assistance (wildlife biology and range conservation focus) and guidance to landowners, government agencies, non-government organizations (NGO’s) and others. Training will be provided by NRCS, IWJV, Pheasants Forever and other local and state agencies.
• Coordinate integration and application of biological sciences within the conservation programs in cooperation with the local NRCS District Conservationist and others and consistent with the Field Office Technical Guide.
• Complete conservation plans and maps, contracts, applications and other required documentation for Farm Bill conservation programs (i.e. EQIP, ACEP, CRP and WRP) requiring biological and rangeland science expertise in cooperation with the partners.
• Communicate program requirements, complete site visits to determine eligibility, and develop contracts/plans for applicants enrolling in USDA conservation programs or other state and local conservation programs for the protection, restoration and enhancement of sage grouse habitat.
• Coordinate and participate in field work activities for sage grouse habitat project implementation and work with agricultural producers.
• Perform other related duties as assigned; including marketing and public outreach regarding SGI.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with landowners and partner agencies.
• Ability to work independently with little supervision and with diverse clientele.
• Knowledge of range science and wildlife ecology including the ability to develop prescribed grazing plans that include wildlife habitat management objectives.
• Able to obtain USDA Security Clearance and NRCS Conservation Planning certification.
• Excellent verbal/written communication and organizational skills.
• Valid driver’s license.
• A general qualification guideline for this position is a Bachelor of Science Degree in Rangeland Science or Wildlife Biology/Management from an accredited university with an emphasis on developing prescribed grazing systems and course work and/or experience on integrating wildlife management principles into the management systems.
• Knowledge of computer skills is required and applicant should be familiar with Word and Excel.
• Ability to use ArcMap and Toolkit would be beneficial.
• Physical ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time over rough terrain; lift and move material weighing up to 50 pounds; work in all types of weather conditions.
Training and Experience Guideline: Any combination of training and/or experience that will enable the applicant to possess the required knowledge, skills and abilities. A general qualification guideline for this position is a Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management or closely related natural resources field and/or related field experience.
To Apply: Visit our Recruitment website at www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs
ONLY ONLINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Please combine your cover letter, resume and 3 references into 1 Word document or PDF file on the Recruitment website.
Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever are an EEO Employer/Vet/Disabled