Manomet is seeking a full-time Shorebird Biologist within our Resilient Habitats Department. Working closely with Manomet’s Coalitions for Shorebird Conservation team, this position will be the regional liaison with partner agencies and organizations on Cape Cod. The work is framed in the context of international flyway conservation strategies, including Atlantic, Midcontinent, and Pacific shorebird plans. This position will support and help expand ongoing projects in Massachusetts to study migratory shorebird ecology, alleviate local threats to Arctic and Boreal-nesting shorebirds, and work with partners to protect the birds’ habitat and food resource needs. For this position, these efforts will include project support of targeted research and monitoring activities on Cape Cod, extensive site-time associated with these activities, and leading partner engagement efforts in developing a cohesive Cape Cod Shorebird Alliance. The primary focus of the Shorebird Biologist will be to support Manomet’s goals of shorebird population recovery.
This is a full time (40 hours per week) hybrid/remote site work position. An idea candidate will be willing and able to regularly travel to several locations throughout eastern Massachusetts and Cape Cod. There is an expectation for this position to work regularly from Manomet’s Plymouth HQ office. Hybrid work schedule is available.
Manomet is a 501(c)(3) organization that empowers stakeholders through science and works with partners to make a world where ecosystems and human communities thrive. Since Manomet’s beginnings as a bird banding operation in 1969, its science and research have expanded to focus on ecosystem management and resilience, shorebird conservation, and educating tomorrow’s leaders about the importance of the natural world. Workplace diversity, science, and climate change are the fundamental principles driving Manomet’s work today.
Manomet has several mechanisms for bringing conservation to the ground where shorebirds need it most. These approaches include our Coalitions for Shorebird Conservation, International Shorebird Survey, and Western Hemisphere Shorebird Reserve Network (WHSRN).
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The position will provide support to ongoing and emerging programmatic objectives, as well as work with other staff to creatively address evolving conservation needs. The work includes tracking deadlines and deliverables, leading and contributing to research efforts, and coordinating with a wide diversity of local and regional partners to achieve measurable success toward habitat and species recovery objectives.
Responsibilities within this role will focus predominately on the following tasks:
• Assist with species-specific research, targeting Atlantic Flyway Shorebird Initiative, Road to Recovery, and Pacific Shorebirds Conservation Initiative priorities such as Red Knot, Whimbrel, Ruddy Turnstone, and Short-billed Dowitcher
• Conduct site work, report writing, and data management. The site work portion of these efforts may include observational surveys, collection of site samples, and assisting in capture, banding, and deployment of tracking devices.
• Expand coverage of the International Shorebird Survey (ISS) to priority migration sites, conduct regular surveys, and recruit other participants
• Build a network of partners to develop and help coordinate a Cape Cod Shorebird Alliance
• Become Manomet’s Cape Cod liaison with the public, representing the organization and its mission at all times
PREPARATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Bachelor’s degree, with additional graduate experience a plus. Equivalent work experience will also be considered
• Broad knowledge of ecosystem and species level ecology
• In-depth understanding of shorebirds and threats to their vital habitats and populations
• Demonstrated ability to work independently toward accomplishing goals
• At least 2 years of experience working in remote settings on research and/or biological monitoring projects
• Demonstrated expertise in shorebird identification and flock estimation
• Experience in handling and banding birds
• Boating skills including trailering, docking, and loading boats
• Strong database management and quantitative skills
• Demonstrated experience in technical writing
• Strong communication skills (written and oral)
• Proven ability to engage, teach, and motivate people
• Experience working with local coastal communities, including engaging with a wide diversity of individuals, state agencies, municipal leaders, land managers, tourists, and community members
• Above almost all other qualifications, an ideal candidate will have a self-motivated passion for this type of work and a humble enthusiasm for developing new skills
• Reliable method of transportation. Frequent travel within Massachusetts, primarily Cape Cod, will be required. Travel costs will be reimbursable
• Must have valid driver’s license
• Must successfully pass a background check
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
• Ability to work in adverse outdoor conditions, including but not limited to exposure to ticks, poison ivy, and extremes in weather, like hot sun, cold temperatures, rain, snow, and high winds
• Willingness to travel for work and work irregular and long hours, as needed
• Ability to lift 30 lbs. or move up to 100 lbs. and assist other to do the same.
• Frequent walking, standing, and bending
• Close work (paperwork, visual examination)
SALARY RANGE: ($50,000-$65,000)
Compensation commensurate with experience. Manomet offers excellent benefits including health insurance, dental, 403b match, life insurance and several other benefits.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by February 10th, 2023.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case-by-case basis.
Manomet provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.