Position Title: Shrub/Scrub Avian Field Technician
Field Location: Throughout Northern New Jersey
Office Location: Wattles Stewardship Center, Port Murray, NJ
Job Classification: Seasonal Full Time May 1 - August 15, 2018
Job Description: The Shrub/Scrub Bird Field Technicians (two) will be responsible for conducting bird and habitat surveys in managed early successional habitats and control sites throughout the NJ Highlands region. They will be responsible for recording detailed observations and data in the field, data entry, and other duties as necessary. The position requires walking long distances over rough terrain, carrying equipment, and tolerating exposure to variable and sometimes adverse weather and environmental conditions. Training will be provided.
• Point count surveys for target early successional bird species, using distance sampling methodologies
• Habitat surveys
• Recording detailed observations and data in the field
• Data entry and management
Knowledge and Skills
• Experience identifying birds of the eastern U.S. by sight and sound
• Experience conducting point count surveys
• General knowledge of vegetation and habitats of New Jersey
• Attention to detail, ability to follow detailed protocols and collecting data
• Ability and willingness to interact with the public and work well with partners
• Proficiency with GPS and range finders preferred
• Proficiency with MS Office, including Excel or Access, required; experience with GIS preferred
• Excellent oral and written skills required.
• Excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
• Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to accept direction and constructive feedback.
• Ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people and exercise cultural competence and inclusion.
• Motivated self-starter with capacity to work productively in a team setting.
• Ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
• Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
• Informed and committed to the role that environmental education, conservation and research plays in our society today and its importance for the future.
• Desire to be a part of a diverse team, and commitment to New Jersey Audubon’s mission.
• Bachelor’s degree in wildlife biology, ecology, environmental science or similar field preferred.
• Must have own vehicle, and a valid and clean driver’s license.
• Must be able to move materials and lift 25 lbs. as needed.
• Must be able to walk long distances in uneven terrain, sometimes in inclement weather.
Starting Date: May 1, 2018 End Date: August 15, 2018
Salary: $ 830 - $1,015 bi-weekly, depending on experience. Housing arrangements may be available. Mileage reimbursement will be provided.
Application Deadline: March 15, 2018.
Please send cover letter of interest, resume, and three references as a single PDF document (including email and phone contact info) to email@example.com. Please include “shrub/scrub” in the subject line so that your application is routed to the appropriate department for review.
We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. The New Jersey Audubon Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.