Spend the summer in the forests of the northern Sierra while honing forestry skills in the Lassen National Forest. The Sierra Institute for Community and Environment is looking for highly motivated individuals to fill the position of Sierra Field Crew Member. The selected applicants will work as part of a six-member crew to mark trees for management of vegetation on the Lassen National Forest in California. Crew members are expected to work four, ten hour days, Monday-Thursday. Position is open until filled, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as they are received.
Tree Designation: Crew members will be responsible for designating harvest/leave trees following provided marking guidelines. Crew members will be expected to exercise sound judgement in designating trees. This is an entry-level position. Crew members will be provided a paid two-week training program, must be open to learning, and willing to work hard in a physically demanding position.
How to Apply
Please send your resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references as one pdf to email@example.com with “Sierra Field Crew” in the subject line. Please include where you heard about the job in the text of the email (please be as specific as possible). Position is open until filled, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please call 530.284.1022 if you have questions.
• An ability to bring critical thinking skills, creativity, and laughter to the workplace;
• A willingness to work and live in a mountainous area, including camping for up to 1 week at a time;
• Willingness to work hard and apply tree marking lessons to in-field marking;
• Punctual and diligent in their work;
• Good physical conditioning to work and walk in the forest all day;
• A personal vehicle for transportation;
• Experience living and/or working in a rural setting and a strong desire to engage in forest management;
• Excellent ability to work with a group and get along with others;
• Sense of humor
• College experience or degree in forestry, biology, agriculture or similar.