Sierra Meadow Project Manager at Point Blue Conservation Science
Location: Sierra Nevada/Hybrid
Deadline to Apply: February 19, 2023
Position Type: Full Time Exempt
About Point Blue Conservation Science:
Point Blue Conservation Science is a growing and internationally renowned non-profit with over 160 staff and scientists based in Petaluma, California. Founded in 1965 as Point Reyes Bird Observatory, our mission and programs have evolved over time to include a broad range of conservation activity, from restoration to environmental education to innovative work in the field of regenerative agriculture. We have a proven track record of scientific excellence.
We recognize that increasing racial, gender, cultural, and other diversity, equity, and inclusion factors at Point Blue and in our partnerships is essential for the success of our mission, vision, and strategy. We are actively engaging in a process to create lasting organizational change. We seek applicants from all backgrounds to join our teams. We strongly encourage applications from people with backgrounds that are under-represented in the conservation community.
We are seeking a Project Manager to be the primary point of contact for partners on the WCB Sierra Meadows Partnership Block Grant. They are responsible for the administration and reporting for 30+ project subawards totaling $20 million. The position facilitates sharing of information between Point Blue and WCB, provides project updates and reports, and identifies and resolves issues. This position is also a liaison to the Sierra Meadows Partnership, providing high-level administrative support.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
• Participates in shared decision-making for the growth, sustainability, and direction of the Sierra WCB block grant program.
• Leads the development and administration of quarterly reports to the WCB. This includes tracking 30+ projects and reporting on deliverables.
• Coordinates the funding decision process and grant making process including outreach to grant applicants, coordinating review and scoring of proposals, and awarding of funds through the SMP Management Board.
• Supervises the preparation and administration of awarded grants, tracking and reporting on all phases of projects funded by the Block Grant. Coordinates activities with project partners, Point Blue finance staff, and is the liaison between subcontractors and Sierra group staff.
• Manages subcontracts with outside partners including determining work to be completed, negotiating budgets, reviewing progress reports, and resolving issues to ensure Block Grant goals are met. Resolves operational and contractual issues that may arise during the project.
• Develops and manages project budgets; completes the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing equipment, materials, and supplies; approves and directs the monitoring of expenditures.
• Manages relationships with members of the Sierra Meadows Partnership (SMP).
• Work as part of Sierra team to raise funds from multiple sources – foundations, government grants/contracts, individuals
Compensation and Benefits:
$72,245-$88,000 Annually, depending on experience. Point Blue provides a comprehensive benefit package including employer paid medical and dental for staff and 75% for dependents. Other benefits include life insurance, long-term care, long- and short-term disability, flexible spending accounts, and retirement plans as well as time off benefits.
• This position operates in a hybrid environment between a home office and professional office setting. This position may also work from remote field locations with uneven terrain, limited vehicles access, limited cell phone reception, and sometimes in a solitary capacity.
Point Blue is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, disability status of an otherwise qualified individual, membership or application for membership in an uniformed service, or membership in any other class protected by applicable law and will make reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities to complete the application and/or participate in the interview process.
• This position requires a combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in natural resources management, environmental education, or related field; and 3 years of project management experience.
• Basic knowledge of CEQA/NEPA planning administrative requirements.
• Knowledge of restoration ecology principles and best practices.
• Knowledge of budgeting principles and best practices.
• Knowledge of project design, planning, implementation, and management principles and practices.
• Ability to work outdoors under variable weather. Requires mobility over various terrains.
• May require the ability to operate an all-terrain vehicle, motor vehicle, boat, or uncrewed aircraft and to travel to different sites and locations.
• Ability to work evenings and weekends as job duties demand.
• Ability to travel within the full Sierra geography, at minimum overnight and up to one week per month.
• Possession of valid California driver’s license and favorable driving history, and proof of auto insurance. Point Blue will conduct a motor vehicle check for purposes of hiring
To apply and view full job description, please visit: https://forms.gle/mfFniQ8rDFkAy5Mx7. If you experience issues with the application process, please email RBURNETT@POINTBLUE.ORG.