Site Steward Canyonlands Field Institute/Utah

Agency
Utah Conservation Corps
Location
New Moab, Utah
Job Category
Internships
Salary
$6,353.00
Last Date to Apply
02/15/2023
Website
https://www.usu.edu/ucc/
Description
Contract Period: August 1 -November 15, 2023 Location: Near Moab, UT (Professor Valley Field Camp) The Site Steward is based at Professor Valley Field Camp, a rustic facility on private land located 20 miles from Moab, UT. The camp is surrounded by open space, world class views and spectacular night skies. The Field Camp has two yurts, 15 tipis and storage barn and is used for environmental/outdoor education. Position Summary: The Site Steward is based at Professor Valley Field Camp, a rustic facility on private land located 20 miles from Moab, UT. The camp is surrounded by open space, world class views and spectacular night skies. The Field Camp has two yurts, 15 tipis and storage barn and is used for environmental/outdoor education. The Site Steward is responsible for grounds and trails, basic facility upkeep, assisting with meals and leading a weekly service project. The Site Steward primarily works with middle and high school groups though will also support a few adult and family programs. Duties: • Approximately 60% of the duties will be related to improvements and grounds work funded by a Utah Office of Outdoor Recreation infrastructure grant. The remaining 40% will be duties in support of Environmental Education programs at the site. • Perform removal of invasive plants and utilize in permaculture berms, new plantings, manage and monitor irrigation drip system. • Light facility upkeep such as culinary water testing, routine cleaning, organizing supplies. • Plan and lead short service learning with school groups. • Assist camp cook upon occasion. • Drive crew shuttle for school one day river trips near Camp. • Assist with one or two public outreach events and service projects. • Assist with data, photography and interviews for grant reporting and media coverage. • Conduct Adopt a Site monitoring for archaeological site in Professor Valley. Training/Professional Development you will receive: • Organization mission, values, vision, long range planning. • Field Camp Operations. • Driver training (must be 21 years minimum for insurance). • Permaculture, local flora, fauna and history. • Hand tool use and maintenance including weed trimmers. • Outfitter style camp cooking. • Volunteer/service-learning management Compensation: • Housing provided (valued at $500 month; RV or Wall Tent). • Meals provided during CFI programs. Note: No laundry provided. No pets. No tobacco use. Guest policy in effect. Available Position Dates: August 1- November 15, 2023 AmeriCorps Term Length: 675 hours *1) Living Allowance: $6,353.00 *2) Ed Award: $2,417.14 *1)Living allowance stipend is taxable and is disbursed on a biweekly basis. The amount presented is the total gross amount. Forbearance on qualifying student loans may also be an option while in service. *2)Education awards—individual must complete term of service dates and minimum hours of service to be eligible to receive the education award. Find out how you can use your education award by visiting this link: https://americorps.gov/members-volunteers/segal-americorps-education-award How to Apply (required): Please send a cover letter, resume, First aid/CPR certification, Motor Vehicle Report and 3 references to founder@cfimoab.org
Qualifications
Position Requirements: • Be a United States citizen, U.S. national, or a lawful permanent resident alien of the United States. • Have a high school diploma or GED or work towards obtaining one while in the program. It is a requirement to obtain a high school diploma or GED before one is eligible to use the Education Award. • Must be clear of any record on the National Sex Offender Public Registry. Must have a criminal record clear of any conviction(s) for murder. • A valid driver's license, 21 and older, provide Motor Vehicle Report, clean driving record for 3 years, and reliable vehicle. • Minimum of Basic First Aid & CPR. • Physical ability to lift 30 pounds. • Be comfortable living in a remote location, at times entirely alone and at others with large groups • Enjoy working with youth aged 12-18; pass Utah Background Clearance to work with children. • Physically able to work outdoors 8-10 hours a day in a range of weather conditions. • Live on site at Professor Valley Field Camp; no pets. • A positive and professional manner with diverse populations. • The successful applicant will need to provide their own reliable vehicle. Mileage reimbursement will be provided by CFI for personal vehicle use for work (errands, to and from town).
Contact Person
UCC Recruiter@uccrecruiter@usu.edu
Contact eMail
Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.