NB: Anyone who is passionate about wildlife conservation is welcome to join this program. We can, based on requirements of your University or yourself, tailor the program to meet those needs. Otherwise, you will enrol in the standard program and work with other participants *students and volunteers* alongside staff members.
This is a wildlife rescue and rehabilitation centre based near the Hlumu Hlumu Mountains in the Mpumalanga region of South Africa. The focus is mainly on vervet monkeys as they are the only primate rehabilitation in the province. Many monkeys come in as tiny babies after their mothers have been shot, poisoned or hit by cars or killed so that people can raise the baby as a pet. Other wildlife that needs to be rescued is also taken in and to date have successfully worked with mongoose, many antelope and bird species, warthog, bushpigs, bushbabies, small predators and reptiles.
Volunteers are needed in the day-to-day activities to keep the centre running. Feeding and cleaning are a daily necessity, but there is still no typical day. New experiences or jobs that needs doing happens on a daily basis.
You will have fun while learning new skills, meeting new people and experiencing a new way of life all while contributing your might. You will become part of the team and it is important that you use your initiative and listen and learn.
The working hours are in general from 7am - 5pm although this depends on animal emergencies. Due to the nature of the centre, animals come first and plans for volunteers (such as days off or meal times) may be delayed if an emergency occurs.
Examples of some of the jobs you may be involved in:
• Daily feeding routines and sorting of new food deliveries
• Hand raising and bottle feeding of orphans
• Working in the baby monkey nursery (Nov-May) to supervise and ensure they are playing, sleeping, feeding etc.
• Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning!! We need to ensure all the enclosures and work areas are kept clean to avoid any infections.
• Helping to administer medicines
• Construction projects - helping to build enclosures, fixing fences, taking down old fences, painting, fixing, maintenance, laying pipes etc.
• Taking part in animal rescues or releases
• Land maintenance such as alien tree removal or burning fie breaks
• Enrichment projects
WHY DO I PAY TO PARTICIPATE? This centre heavily relies on funding and does not have the capacity to cover the costs for accommodation, meals and other expenses of volunteers.
The costs cover accommodation, 3 meals a day, 1 transfer from and to Nelspruit to the project.
2 week cost € 650
4 weeks cost € 975
8 weeks cos €1700
Travel/flights to South Africa and Nelspruit
Depending on availability you can join any given Monday