Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Smithers; Assistant Biologist: North Carolina
Smithers Carolina Research Facility
Snow Camp, NC
Full time Positions
Last Date to Apply
Smithers is seeking applicants for an assistant biologist position at their Avian Toxicology research facility in North Carolina. A Bachelor of Science degree in one of the life sciences is required. Experience in a wildlife based laboratory research environment is preferred but not necessary. Position will be responsible for bird husbandry and computerized data collection governed by standard operating procedures and written protocols designed to satisfy federal government research guidelines. Collected data and related reports must undergo quality control measures and may be reviewed by government auditors. Employees are expected to demonstrate quality and efficiency in all tasks.
Employee is expected to:
• Comprehend, assimilate and adhere to regulatory requirements, laboratory SOPs, study protocols and other instructions.
• Must understand basic research concepts and practice appropriate documentation of measurements and observations in a concise and legible manner.
• Must have a rudimentary understanding of avian anatomy, physiology and behavior.
• Must perceive the difference in bird behaviors in caged versus natural environments, and practice appropriate animal care accordingly.
• Be proficient in Microsoft Office programs, especially WORD and EXCEL. Must be able to quickly create spreadsheets, formulas and pivot tables within EXCEL. Must also be able to learn use of other software.
• Reliably work independently as well as with a team, and coordinate varied tasks with a team of people with diverse talents and personalities.
• Readily comprehend and apply new concepts and procedures.
• Be self-motivated and demonstrate professional conduct at all times.
• Consistently execute repetitive tasks and follow a set schedule with the ability to adapt to changes in daily routine.
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, while being detail-oriented, thorough and efficient.
• Work with a variety of avian species in hot, wet, cold, dry and soiled conditions. May work with non-avian species infrequently.
• Position will include preparing diets for various avian species and catfish.
• Must be able to climb ladders, reach, bend, and use various tools. Must be able to be on feet for long periods of time and lift 50 pounds.
• Must be willing and able to do a combination of both manual labor and desk work, sometimes shifting between both within the same day.
• Must be willing and able to participate in all activities necessary to accomplish daily work load.
• GLP experience a plus.
Send resume and transcript to Kelley Stanfield (email@example.com) to apply.