One field technician needed from 1 May 2018 to 15 July 20, 2018 to assist NCSU graduate student in evaluating northern bobwhite and songbird community occupancy response to hardwood cover in longleaf pine woodlands on Fort Bragg military base in southcentral North Carolina.
Technician will conduct bird point counts and associated vegetation sampling from May-July. Travel on the base will be required (vehicle provided). Work schedule will vary throughout the season, but the technician should expect to work long hours, including early morning start times, with possible weekend shifts during the point count season.
1. Have experience identifying birds of the Southeast by sight and sound.
2. Have or be in pursuit of a Bachelor’s degree in a wildlife-related field or equivalent experience.
3. Possess a valid US driver’s license.
4. Be in excellent physical condition, capable of hiking several miles each day while packing 10-15 pounds of equipment.
5. Have a willingness to work in all conditions (eg. 90+ degree temps, high humidity, early mornings, rain, dense vegetation).
6. Be capable of efficiently working alone.
7. Feel comfortable working on an active military base.
8. Feel comfortable working in an area where there is possibility of encountering venomous snakes and poisonous plants.
9. Be highly motivated, flexible, and able to maintain a positive attitude under strenuous field conditions.
1. Prior experience conducting point counts, conducting vegetation sampling, and using handheld GPS.
2. Experience using four-wheel drive trucks on rough/unpaved
Application review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Those with additional questions regarding this position may contact Dan Hannon (email@example.com).
To apply, please email cover letter, resume, and list of 3 references in a single PDF file entitled “LastName_SongbirdTech2018” to the listed email address with the email subject line "Songbird Technician Application". Applicants not selected for these positions will be notified after the closing date.