Location: 5580 Salem Road Quincy, Fl 32353
Type of position: Full-time
The mission of St. Francis Wildlife is to provide humane care and rehabilitation for native wild animals that have been harmed, displaced, or orphaned from north Florida. We rescue and care for more than 3,000 wild animals annually.
Job Title: Wildlife Hospital
Reports to: Director and Hospital Manager
A Wildlife Hospital Technician assists the Wildlife Rehabilitators in all aspects of rescue, rehabilitation, and release of orphaned, injured, or sick native wild animals. He/she assists in daily husbandry, diet plans, and medical treatments along with administering medications and fluids as needed. He/she is responsible for assisting with the training and mentoring of interns and volunteers. He/she is trained in answering a wildlife hotline and aiding the public with wildlife concerns and rescues. This is a full-time position 40+ hours a week. It involves working evenings, weekends, and holidays when needed.
• Assist rehabilitators in providing the best possible care for our wild rehabilitation patients.
• Intake new patients and assess the patients’ needs.
• Daily cleaning, feeding, medicating, and wound care of current hospital patients.
• Provide or assist in protocols, animal rescue/release, diagnostics, medical procedures /treatments i.e. blood work, medication dosage, physical therapy, and humane euthanasia.
• Assist in providing training to Interns and Volunteers.
• Provide aid, in person or over the phone, to the public regarding animal rescues, reunites, transport, or nuisance wildlife situation according to St. Francis Wildlife protocols.
• Keep detailed and organized patient forms plus help to supervise other staff, volunteers and interns in their performance with animal documentation.
• Assist in maintaining outdoor facilities and indoor facilities plus keeping the property safe, clean, and organized.
• Ensure that protocols are followed to minimize the risk of zoonotic diseases.
• Be up to date on the history and current medical progress on patients to alert wildlife rehabilitators of any changes.
• Fill in during the absence of other staff if needed
• Inform the appropriate party of dwindling supplies. Conduct purchasing trips as necessary.
• Answer and respond to the public’s curiosity about the organization, i.e. the mission, patient status, etc.
• Willingness to continue wildlife rehabilitation education and learn new techniques
• Assist with any additional tasks assigned.
• Must be emotionally mature, hard-working, responsible, reliable and enthusiastic
• Must be able to move around in the hospital 75% of the time.
• Frequently moves animals, animal cages and animal feed weighing up to 50 pounds around the property and in or out of vehicles.
• Occasionally will work in outdoor weather conditions.
• The FKWBC’s two properties are smoke-free zones; able to respect the smoke-free zones.
• Must be able to understand why euthanasia is necessary and perform human euthanasia of animals if needed
• Bachelor’s Degree in the biological sciences
• 2 years of experience in a wildlife rehabilitation setting
• Experience capturing, handling, restraining, and caring for wild animals
• Basic knowledge of rehab techniques, protocols, and medical records in a hospital setting
• Ability to learn and understand basic medical terminology, animal physiology and anatomy
• Able to exchange accurate information on an individual basis and in group situations plus excellent interpersonal skills for interactions with employees, volunteers, and the public.
• Ability to work calmly and quietly in a fast paced and sometimes stressful environment
• Basic computer, telephone, and data collection skills
• Must be able to perform moderately strenuous tasks such as bending and lifting 50 lbs.
• Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
• Pre-exposure Rabies vaccines
The job description is subject to change at any time.
St. Francis Wildlife Rehabilitation Association is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send a cover letter, a resume and three professional references to email@example.com