For 30 years, Mile High Youth Corps (MHYC) has transformed lives, communities and the environment through meaningful youth development and service programs rooted in conservation and the community. The Finance Department is currently seeking a Staff Accountant to provide accounting and finance support to the organization. Primary areas of responsibility include managing and processing payroll, accounts payable, account receivable, grant billing and tracking, and assisting with the annual audit. She/he/they must be able to adapt to an evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline oriented workplace. This position supports programming that is partially funded by AmeriCorps.
· Managing and processing all aspects of payroll for the organization
· Processing Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable
· Billing, tracking and documenting the use of grant funding
· Assisting in the preparation of financial documents
· Assisting with the annual financial and compliance audit
· Assisting with the maintenance of the general ledger
· Conducting monthly and year-end closing procedures
· Other duties as assigned
Education: Bachelors degree in Accounting preferred. Significant professional experience may be substituted for post-secondary education.
· 2-3 years of progressively responsible accounting experience, preferably in a nonprofit setting
· Strong commitment to Mile High Youth Corps’ mission, vision and values.
· Proficient with Quickbooks, Excel and Microsoft Word.
· Experience running and managing payroll.
· Knowledge of accounting principles and practices, especially as it relates to nonprofit accounting and GAAP principles and practices.
· Flexibility and the ability to adapt to an evolving environment.
· Ability to meet deadlines and complete tasks in a detailed and timely manner.
· Excellent analytical and organizational skills
· Ability to work independently and with a team.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with diverse stakeholders.
· Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion practices
· Ability to pass pre-employment background check, including an FBI criminal background check, which requires fingerprinting.
· Must be able to legally work in the United States which will be verified through the
· Federal E-Verify program on the first day of employment.
· MHYC has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement. Individuals must submit proof of full vaccination, partial vaccination, or submit their medical or religious COVID-19 vaccination exemption request by their first day. If only partial vaccination is submitted, proof of the second shot needs to meet the recommended time interval of the vaccine administered.
· Valid driver’s license with insurable driving record.
· Knowledge of government grants (including federal grants) preferred.