Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
STAR Center Winter Internship – North Carolina
North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island
Positions are unpaid and are therefore on a volunteer basis. Interns must have their own transportation to and from work areas and housing is not provided. However, NCARI will offer suggestions and will provide assistance in any way possible.
Background: The STAR Center is a 3000 square-foot exhibit inside the North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island which provides medical care to sick and injured sea turtles while exploring new techniques that support our knowledge of sea turtle health, anatomy, and physiology. The facility features a viewing area, giving aquarium visitors the opportunity to observe sea turtle rehabilitation in progress and learn about the processes and dedicated individuals that help heal and reintroduce the sea turtles back to the ocean.
• Assist STAR center staff with rehabilitation, and care of sick and injured sea turtles
• Prep food and feed daily diets to patients
• Clean patient’s tanks and filtration systems daily
• Assist in medical treatment of sea turtles
• Interacting with the public, on and off microphone
• Entering daily data into medical records
• Assist with patient intakes, this is our busy season with possibility of multiple intakes at one time
• Interact and monitor STAR center volunteers in their daily duties
• Assist in making of salt water and measuring water quality parameters
• Intern will be required to spend one day walking beaches with volunteers to look for cold stun turtles, and one day assisting the volunteers at the Buxton, NC staging center
QUALIFICATIONS: You must be at least 18 years old to apply for our unpaid internships. Preference will be given to college or graduate students or recent graduates working towards degrees in biology, environmental studies, marine science, education, or other related fields.
NCARI is looking for interns who:
• demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills
• are adaptable, flexible, and willing to learn
• are responsible and hard-working
• are able to work both independently and as part of a team
• speak politely and appropriately to NCARI staff, other volunteers, and guests
• are good listeners, able to follow detailed instructions
Complete the formal intern application found on NCARI website
and email with resume and letter of intent to Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com or send all materials to the following address:
Volunteer Services Coordinator
NC Aquarium on Roanoke Island
P.O. Box 967
Manteo, NC 27954