POSITION TITLE: Stewardship Field Manager
STATUS: Full Time
REPORTS TO: Walker Basin Restoration Program Director
POSITIONS REPORTING TO THIS POSITION: 3 to 4 Field Technicians & seasonal stewardship crews
LOCATION: Yerington, Nevada, with frequent travel within the Walker Basin and additional travel to Reno and Carson City, Nevada and elsewhere as needed.
BACKGROUND: Established in 2014, the Walker Basin Conservancy (WBC) is leading the effort to restore and maintain Walker Lake while protecting agricultural, environmental and recreational interests in the Walker Basin (www.walkerbasin.org). The nascent and dynamic nature of the WBC and its diverse management obligations provide unique opportunities to develop operations from the ground level up, working closely with staff who are passionate about their mission.
The WBC currently manages thousands of acres of land and assets on multiple properties in the Walker Basin. Land planning activities are underway and focus on assessing public use opportunities, conservation values, long term land ownership and stewardship, active and passive revegetation and restoration activities.
JOB PURPOSE: Reporting to the Walker Basin Restoration Program Director, this position will be primarily responsible for successfully implementing the stewardship and land management plans developed with the staff ecologist. This position will be responsible for direction, coordination and management of a large field staff and will work closely with the staff ecologist(s) on adaptive management strategies to address ever changing field conditions. This position will play a fundamental role in the on the ground success of the Program.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Staff Management and Administration (50%)
• Ability to successfully coordinate and direct a large field staff;
• Ability to develop and manage staff effectively and efficiently, laying out schedules well in advance and adapting as necessary;
• Ability to identify and improve operations and efficiencies;
• Ability to help grow existing staff into increasing responsibilities;
• Management of two to three field offices within the Walker Basin;
• Ability to anticipate next steps; provide guidance and recommendations;
• Work closely with various staff and contractors for successful implementation of plans; and,
• Management of numerous contractors.
Stewardship Implementation (30%)
• Work closely with staff ecologist(s) for successful implementation of stewardship plans;
• Coordinate regularly with a variety of staff to ensure water and land activities are implemented in the most effective and efficient manner; and,
• Work closely with land owners, lessees and Nevada State Parks (Walker River State Recreation Area) to effectively implement stewardship plans.
Management of Assets (20%)
• Oversee the management, maintenance and use of a fleet of vehicles and large equipment;
• Ensure proper staff training on equipment.
A salary range of $52,000 to $62,000 based on the level of experience.
Benefits include generous health, dental vision care and life insurance plans.
Paid leave includes three weeks of paid vacation (increasing to four weeks after one year of service), 10 Federal holidays, a floating week at the Christmas holiday, two personal days and twelve sick days annually. Retirement 403(b) includes a 6% automatic contribution by the WBC.
• A minimum of 5 years in management position with progressively increasing responsibility;
• A minimum of 5 to 7 years’ experience in employee management;
• Highly independent, proactive and entrepreneurial with experience developing and implementing projects;
• Experience with irrigation systems: drip, sprinkler, flood, pumps (small and large irrigation);
• Experience with planting shrubs and grasses;
• Experience with operating all types of equipment such as: farm tractors, seeders, backhoes, tillage implements, augers, etc.;
• Previous experience in conservation, agriculture knowledge;
• Demonstrated organization, tracking and management experience required;
• Excellent communication skills, ability to clearly and concisely give direction;
• Excellent computer skills and proficient in Excel, Word, Outlook, and Access; and,
• Team player with a strong work ethic and is always up for a new challenge.
Position will remain open until filled. Only top candidates will be contacted.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Subject Line: Stewardship Field Manager
Please call (775) 463-9887 x116 with questions.
Equal Opportunity Statement – Walker Basin Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer. WBC does not discriminate against any employee, applicant, director, officer, contractor, or any other person with whom it deals because of race, creed, color, disability, age, sex, veteran status, religion or political affiliation. WBC complies with all federal and local statutes prohibiting discrimination in employment.
Disclaimer - The statements contained herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by the employees in these positions. The statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in each position. Other responsibilities, duties, and skills may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the responsibilities, duties, and skills at any time.