The Stewardship Technician will assist in the management of natural resources in the Big Talbot Island region for North Florida Land Trust. Primary responsibilities center around monitoring a nesting population of diamondback terrapins, and will include extensive monitoring, predator control, data management, and support of a volunteer team.
This is a part-time, seasonal position with a start date no later than April 1st and an end date no later than September 30th, 2020. Affordable housing is available nearby at a NFLT-owned property on Big Talbot Island.
Natural Resource Monitoring & Management
- Conduct consistent and accurate surveys of nesting diamondback terrapins.
- Trap and remove predatory pest species impacting diamondback terrapin nesting.
- Collect and manage diamondback terrapin tissue samples.
- Ensure regular data entry, proofing, and management for all nesting data collected.
- Assist in the training and management of diamondback terrapin volunteer team.
- Build monthly volunteer schedules to accommodate availability.
- Quickly identify maintenance issues on property and communicate problems to staff.
- Bachelor’s degree (or in progress) required; B.S. in biology, ecology, or related field preferred.
- Adaptability to variable work schedule – duties will require early mornings, evenings, and weekends.
- Ability to work outdoors for long periods in extreme and variable weather.
- Experience in data entry, proofing, and management.
- Skilled use of GPS units and Microsoft Excel; training can be provided.
- Ability to work independently, communicate effectively, take initiative in problem solving, and report consistently on progress.
- Current and valid driver’s license and own form of transportation for travel to field site.
- Preference given to those willing to reside at NFLT property for duration of position; pets are not permitted.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) references to Emily Dunn, Stewardship Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Monday, February 24, 2020.