Pittsburgh Wildlife & Environmental, Inc. (PWE) is seeking summer mist-netting technicians for Indiana bat surveys in the eastern United States. PWE is an environmental consulting firm located just southwest of Pittsburgh, PA. We specialize in endangered species surveys, aquatic resource identification and permitting, and agency consultation for land development and resource extraction projects.
This is a seasonal position lasting from May 15 – August 15. Most of the work will require out of town travel for multiple, consecutive seven-day work weeks. Mist-netting takes place outdoors, at night, and typically in remote forested locations. Responsibilities include helping to set up equipment, removing bats from the nets, weighing and measuring captured animals, and various other fieldwork related tasks.
Interested parties should send a cover letter and resume with 2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 15, 2021.
• Must be able to carry survey equipment weighing up to 50lbs over rugged terrain, often during inclement weather.
• Candidates must have a valid driver’s license and be able to make it to and from our Pittsburgh, PA office with their own vehicle.
• Candidates with experience and knowledge of the outdoors and native plants/animals are preferred but not required.
• Must have strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Must be responsible, organized, and punctual.
• The rabies pre-exposure vaccine series is required for handling bats. If you have received the 3-shot series, make a note of it in your resume/cover letter along with current rabies antibody blood titer results. If not, PWE will require you to get the 3-shot series prior to May 15, 2021. The cost of the shots will be reimbursed at the end of the summer field season, which could be as late as August 15, 2021.