Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Supervisory Naturalist Educator-Texas
McAllen Nature Center
Part Time Vacancies
Last Date to Apply
Under general supervision, the Supervisor is responsible for implementing specific programs as assigned. Employee has supervisory responsibilities for the actions, job performance, supervision and monitoring of all assigned employees and program participants. Employee prepares standard routine reports and records. Job involves decision making which require sound interpretation and mature judgment. Employee provides continuous service to the public frequently involving sensitive matters that demand the utmost tact, courtesy and resourcefulness. Employee has full responsibility for directly, assisting and evaluating job performance of one or more employees.
The McAllen Nature Center is a 20 acre nature site, offering wellness and nature activities as well as an opportunity for visitors to self-tour the site.
1. Preforms functions at McAllen Nature Center or at various City locations and events
2. Required to work Holidays, weekends and evenings
3. Required to have program supervisor knowledge and experience in nature and wildlife.
4. Staffing the visitor information table, assisting with volunteer groups, teaching of private and public programs and school groups.
5. Serves as lead person for program site.
6. Serves as first responder to accidents
7. Keeps and maintains records of program participants such as attendance, accident and/or incident reports.
8. Keeps and maintains personnel records (i.e. good/bad work performance, tardy/no show, accident reports, etc.)
9. Assigns work schedule. Supervise and assigns duties to aides, volunteers and any temporary personnel assigned to the program.
10. Plans and implements lesson plans for assigned program.
11. Accomplishes activities while still keeping it fun for all participants.
12. Keeps work area neat and clean.
13. Thinks and promotes "safety" at all times.
14. Assists emergency services in case of emergency.
15. Keeps a daily inventory of all equipment and supplies and reports any supplies needed for daily operations to immediate supervisor.
16. Organize activities that are supportive of the general recreation plan as presented by immediate supervisor.
17. Performs other job related tasks as assigned.
18. Assists on other projects and job related tasks in the department when requested.
19. Assists in meeting overall program objectives, safety and quality.
20. Communicate effectively with parents and guardians.
ONLINE APPLICATIONS ONLY: http://www.mcallen.net/departments/hr/job-opportunities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Minimum Requirements - 1. Job requires a High School Diploma or GED with (1) year experience in a program specific leadership position such as a Program Instructor II; or high school diploma/GED equivalent with three semesters of college study/36 hours; or high school diploma/GED with three (3) years of related experience.
2. Job requires experience/background with working with elementary age children.
3. Must be knowledgeable and capable of properly using program specific equipment, facilities, and teaching Instructors I and II for instructing assigned programs.
4. Must be able to demonstrate and assess proper skills in assigned program.
5. Must be in good or excellent physical condition, mobile, and agile.
6. Must be alert, active, responsible and mature individual.
7. Must exhibit special leadership qualities and ability to work with superiors as well as subordinates.
8. Must be able to promote good public relations for the city.
9. . Must be able to meet the public in a courteous manner, using tact and diplomacy
10. Must obtain American Red Cross Standard First Aid and CPR certification within the first two (2) months of hire.
11. Job requires a current, valid Texas Class C driver's license.
1. Must be able to work outdoors in hot weather and be able to move about job site.
2. Must be able to lift a minimum of forty pounds.
3. Must be able to physically demonstrate and/or coach program activities offered to participants.
1. This position has supervisory responsibilities over other positions.
2. This is a safety sensitive position subject to drug and alcohol testing.
This job description summarizes essential job functions and minimum job requirements for entry level work and typical duties illustrative of the type of work customarily assigned and performed in this position. However, this job description does not represent every aspect of the job nor does it guarantee permanent employment, as all positions with the City of McAllen are employment at will positions. Job descriptions are subject to periodic updates and modifications. The City reserves the right to change work assignments and other aspects of a job. The City of McAllen is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, and does not tolerate unlawful discrimination or harassment based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age or any other protected status under applicable federal, state or local laws.